DVD Player Not Recognizing certain DVD'S (macbook is driving my insane)

Reaction score
I am having issues with my macbook recognizing my dvd's. It is the drive in my macbook that is not reading this discs. (Now, I am going to be completely honest with you, these are legal backups of dvd's that I have made. They are for my personal use only and are made in case anything happens to the original dvd.)

So i thought it was the dvd's initially soI tried them out on another dvd player and they played successfully. Therefore, it is most likely an issue with the macbook. I tried some original dvd's i have on hand (gone is 60 seconds and paperclips) and both of them work on my macbook and dvd player. this is very frustrating that my legal backups work on most dvd players and not my macbooks. maybe something is wrong that it does not recognize the format. any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I am having issues with my macbook recognizing my dvd's. It is the drive in my macbook that is not reading this discs. (Now, I am going to be completely honest with you, these are legal backups of dvd's that I have made. They are for my personal use only and are made in case anything happens to the original dvd.)

So i thought it was the dvd's initially soI tried them out on another dvd player and they played successfully. Therefore, it is most likely an issue with the macbook. I tried some original dvd's i have on hand (gone is 60 seconds and paperclips) and both of them work on my macbook and dvd player. this is very frustrating that my legal backups work on most dvd players and not my macbooks. maybe something is wrong that it does not recognize the format. any thoughts?

is this of any help?

"MacBook Pro, MacBook, PowerBook G4, iBook G4: Troubleshooting the slot load disc drive"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275

OP
F
Reaction score
it loads (takes) the disc into the disc tray. that is not the issue. the issue is that is does not READ the disc. it is not recognizing that it is in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I actually have the same problem... a little worse actually.

My DVD drive on my iMac frequently will not read DVD's and Software... I recently bought a couple Children's Games from the Apple Store in KC... brought them home, inserted in the drive... waited... waited... still waiting.... Nothing!!! Nothing what so ever...

Tried the next title... again.... nothing.

The worst part of it is that the MAJORITY of the time the iMac won't eject the disc... I hear it try to eject, but gets stuck.. then it tries to read the disc again.... and ..... you guessed it... Nothing...

I had to take it to an Apple Store about a 2 months ago because the disc was stuck in the drive... then the iMac was shut down... When trying to reboot.. the sytstem would not, I think it was trying to boot from the CD... The Apple tech had to open her up to get the disc (CD) out.

I need to get back to the Apple Store and ask to have the drive replaced.

Other than these minor drive issues... I LOVE this thing!

OP
F
Reaction score
ahhh so i am not the only one with a physically incable disc here. lol (since this is my fourth major issue with mac, do i get a refund) i know with dell you do if you have three major issues. anyways i hope i can resolve this before i leave and do not have internet access for a while

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
What was the method you used to make the back ups? What programs did you use? OS? Are these all the same type of media (Brand, -/+ R, etc)?

Has your drive only failed with burned dvd media? Does it ever occur with any other type of media?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
could be the media that you are using if all other types of disks work....try a different brand of disks
-chris

OP
F
Reaction score
Some of them work, some of them do not. I have tried all different brands. Plus the ones that did not work played on another macbook today at thwe apple store. I am getting a new drive soon.

Reaction score
MacBook Pro 17 DVD-R reading problems

I, too, am having problems with reading DVD-R discs. My drive reads commercially-produced CDs and DVDs perfectly, also CD-R discs.

When I insert a recorded DVD-R an error message says that the DVD-R is blank, when this is not the case.

Frustrating to find that this sort of problem has persisted for some time, without resolution.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A DVD-R disk recorded where? Recorded on the same machine that won't read them? And how were they recorded? Be specific if you want help. And is it a problem with every brand of DVD-R or certain brands?

Reaction score
This worked for me

I had some problems reading home-burnt DVDs as well - 'standard' DVDs were not a problem. I used compressed air to 'clean' the slot and could then read my DVDs just fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.