Looking at a refubr MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
When I busted the screen on my 12" Powerbook last summer I decided rather than to drop about $500 to repair it I'd just make it a "desktop" for my work office.

Now I'm just about ready to buy what will most likely be a refurbished 2Ghz Intel Dual Core Mac Book.

However, I was wondering.

I'm thinking of putting a copy of Windows XP on it as well and I was wondering if this unit would have the horsepower to run older Windows games. I'm talking games 4 or more years older. I'm not really a computer gamer except for some old favorites and World of Warcraft (but I'm betting that if my 3 year old Thinkpad can run it then I shouldn't have a problem with a fairly new MacBook.

Opinions please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
If you max out the RAM, then you would be fine with a MacBook. It will have no problems running Windows, and as for the games, it really depends. I don't know what kind of games you are talking about, but if they are really demanding, it might not work too well. The MacBook doesn't have any actual VRAM, and just uses shared RAM, but that is limited. The thing doesn't have a graphics card, so just keep that in mind.

I have a MacBook with the same processor, and maxed out RAM, and the thing just flies.

OP
Abdiel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
I'm looking at putting games that are quite a few years old on it. Stuff like System Shock 2, Planescape: Torment maybe Fallout 1 and 2. Civilization III. Alpha Centari, Age of Mythology.... Stuff like that. I'm not thinking I'm gonna run Crysis on it or anything. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.