• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iDVD 6.0: DVD Players not recognizing discs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Hi, all.

I've successfully created a project (several photo slideshows under one menu screen) in iDVD and have burned it to DVD (both DVD-R and DVD+R), but none of the DVDs (made by Sony) are recognisable in the Sony or Toshiba DVD players I have here in the USA. I'm originally from the UK, where I bought my Mac, so have selected NTSC as the output format. Admittedly, I haven't tried another make of DVD, but would that really matter?

Am I missing something? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

Reaction score
A Sony machine should be ok with DVD-Rs, but steer clear of +Rs. I'm assuming your DVD player is from the US.

I would say try another DVD and if that doesn't work try a different brand. I know that some guys I work with found that a Sony player would not play certain brands of disc. I don't know if you can get it in the States, but we find Verbatim to be pretty reliable.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Thanks, disciple. I'll try another brand. I had already burnt 4 of the Sony DVDs... three -R and one +R, to no avail.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4
Well, I bought Verbatim single layer DVD -R discs and the problem is the same. The DVD players aren't recognising the discs... "Incorrect disc" is the message from the Toshiba DVD player. Any other helpful advice that can be offered will greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have had this happen with iDVD 7.0.

I created a slide show about 1 year ago using TDK (DVD-R) discs and it plays on my MacBook Pro and my Toshiba DVD players. I just created another slideshow and when I put the DVD into my Toshiba players and into a PC, it won't play but it will play on my MacBook Pro and my Sony Blu-Ray Player.

I created this slideshow in Standard Format/High Quality. Even when I changed the quality to Professional or changed the format to Widescreen...I still get the "Incorrect Disc" message on the Toshiba players.

I'm confused as to what the problem is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
JE, are the players designed to read such discs? Does the disc play in your Mac via DVD Player application?

To see two of you post this problem is troubling. I hope Apple hasn't messed this up some how.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This has been going on as long as writable DVD discs have existed. Certain players are just picky about the media you've used. Sometimes you can get better compatibility by slowing down the burn speed. Other times, you may need to try a different brand of media or different format (i.e. DVD+R instead of DVD-R). I've personally found that TDK and Imation make more compatible media, particularly in DVD+R format.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.