• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Burning DVDs PLEASE HELP!!!

I

iMatrix

I need some help with copying my DVDs

I've got no idea of what I have to do so I will need detailed instructions

Now i've got an iMac G4 with a DVD-R/W drive. I have Roxio Toast Titanium 5.1.4 and DVision 1.2.4

I dont know if these programs are any good but i'm just letting you know what i've got

Can anyone please let me know how I can copy my DVDs? What programs I need? If I have to rip the DVD first?

I would appreciate any help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
I personally use Toast 5.2, Sizzle 0.2 and iDVD for burning DVDs. And they both work really good.

as far as ripping, check MacUpdate or Version Tracker for programs that will do this.

as a friendly reminder....

MacForums.com Community Rules
No illegal activity - Warez specifically

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
A couple of good places to go to look for info on DVD "burning" is tp://doom9.org (outdated link removed) and tp://dvdrhelp.com (outdated link removed). These are the two places that I learned all I know about DVDs and movies. They are pretty much weighted towards Windows but there are tools and discussions on what to use and do with OS X.

I use toast to burn my DVDs. I use Win2K for most of the video conversion and authoring. It's not that I don't want to use my iMac, it's that there isn't as much support for this type of thing for Macs yet. At least in my experience. I'd love to proven wrong :)

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Originally posted by MacAddikt@Apr 25 2003, 01:43 PM

as a friendly reminder....

MacForums.com Community Rules
No illegal activity - Warez specifically
Just to double check, if I take mpeg movies from various CD singles and compile them onto DVD so I can watch them on my TV (or rather so my son can in his bedroom) when we own the CD's am I doing anything naughty? The files started out as QuickTime or Mpeg-1 files and are now currently being encoded by iDVD as I type ready to be burnt onto DVD-R, and all while I am browsing the web, typing this and also listening to Music with iTunes whilst it also imports CD tracks into Mp3 files for the music library, cool or what!

I was going to do the same for some DVD's (i.e by ripping the "out-takes" section of multiple DVD's in my collection to make a compilation of "funnies" for my viewing pleasure, I'd particularly like to put all the out-takes from the Lethal Weapons films onto one DVD because they are hilarious) but can't seem to make any of the freely available rippers work on OSX.

Another use I thought of for a ripper was to put compilations of various good jokes from my collection of stand-up DVD's (i.e Billy Connolly, Lee Evens etc) onto a single DVD for those moments when I need a laugh but can't be bothered with fast forwarding through the naff stuff to get it.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
**** and blast it! I burned it as NTSC!!

Anyone know how I can change it to PAL for a second attempt?

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I guess technically if you own the software ( movies ) then you should be able to make copies for yourself as a backup or "compilation". The whole "Warez" warning is in regards to downloading movies, and burning them to DVD. Basically Piracy. If you own the software, then right now, I believe the law still states that you can have backup copies, hence the reason DVD ripper software isn't "Against the law".

Now, removing the Macrovision copyright protection from that DVD is a different story. And in fact the guy who first hacked the Macrovision copyright protection went to jail. But you can't backup a DVD without removing the Macrovision. So it is a big circle of who is right and what should I be able to do with the content that I purchase and rightfully own.

As far as these forums are concerned, you can do whatever you want. You just can't put links here and you can't offer pirating services. If you wanna know how to rip a DVD, I see nothing wrong with discussing it here. If you wanna know how to burn an .avi file of "The Two Towers" you just downloaded from Kazaaa, then we have an issue. Basically it comes down to how you word things. If you don't mention anything then we and you cannot be liable ( not that we or you, would be anyways ).

So in conclusion :

"I need to know how to burn an .avi file onto a DVD with Toast. How do I do that?" is FINE.

"I just download "Two Towers" and "Enter the Matrix" from the net. How do I convert them so I can watch them on my DVD player?" is NOT FINE.

If you can't see the difference, I would ask that you refrain from speaking about such things :)

Also as noted before, there is a TON of information at tp://doom9.org (outdated link removed) and tp://dvdrhelp.com (outdated link removed).

This is not only for movies, but for any software that is out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I feel much better knowing I'm not doing anything too naughty. ;)

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
here are great programs:

OSEx
OSEx employs the DeCSS algorithm for decrypting video from encrypted DVDs. The output is MPEG-2 code.

Media Pipe
MediaPipe is a flexible framework to manipulate media on Mac OS X. It allows you to build decoding, filtering, encoding and even streaming pipelines that correspond exactly to your needs. Additionally, if a format is not supported, or a filter not available, it features a SDK that let you to quickly implement the pipe you want.

Sizzle 0.1
Comes with Jaguar developer tools. Sizzle is designed a tool for Mac OS X 10.2 and later that helps in the creation of reasonably basic, no-frills DVD Video discs. Sizzle takes MPEG-2 video and combines it with either MPEG Layer-II ("MP2") or Dolby Digital ("AC3") audio to create a disc image that can be burned to a recordable DVD or CD with a program like Disc Copy or Roxio Toast.

Sizzle 0.2 has been released since then.

OP
D

Dinkus_Mayhem

iMatrix said:
I need some help with copying my DVDs

I've got no idea of what I have to do so I will need detailed instructions

Now i've got an iMac G4 with a DVD-R/W drive. I have Roxio Toast Titanium 5.1.4 and DVision 1.2.4

I dont know if these programs are any good but i'm just letting you know what i've got

Can anyone please let me know how I can copy my DVDs? What programs I need? If I have to rip the DVD first?

I would appreciate any help

Download an application called OSEx. Open the application. If the dvd you are making a backup of is in your DVD player, it will be recognized automatically and you will see its title displayed in the OSEx window. The only thing you have to change is in the "fmt" button on the OSEx window. Press "fmt" and make sure you select "DVD Folder."

Press the begin button. It will ask you where to save the VIDEO_TS file. I suggest making a new file on the desktop to save the file in. Once you hit begin and select the location, you are decoding your DVD.

When that is done, open an application called "DVD2oneX" that you can download (it is a commerical application, so you will need to pay to use it, but it definitely works. I'm sure there are other apps to use, but this one is easy enough for a pea brain like me to use).

On the DVD2oneX webpage, there are instructions on how to use the application. Pretty much all you need to do is select the VIDEO_TS folder you just created with OSEx and then decide whether you want to copy just the movie ("movie only" -- it will keep the chapters in tact, but no menus or frills. This is what I like best...less space taken up, so better chance it will all fit on one DVD) or the entire disk (this takes up much more disk space and takes considerably longer to process, but you will get the menus and DVD frills just like on the original DVD). If you select "movie only," select "constant" in the "ratio" box. If you are copying the entire disk, select "variable" in the ratio box. Make sure you select the language and subtitles you want included (a side pop-up window opens up and allows you to select these). Hit the start button, select a location to save (again, create a new folder on the desktop AHEAD of time and in this folder, create a new blank folder called VIDEO_TS. Select this folder. Then you are processing the file you decoded in the first step.

After this is complete, use Roxio Toast Titanium to burn your new VIDEO_TS file to DVD. Open the toast "help" file, look at the instructions to make a DVD and follow them, and you're in business.

This should allow you to make a backup copy of a DVD you legally own that will work on a stand-alone DVD player.

To be a good citizen...
DO NOT DO ANY OF THE ABOVE IF IT IS A VIOLATION OF ANY LOCAL, STATE, OR FEDERAL LAW. THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS TO BE USED ONLY BY INDIVIDUALS WHO HAVE CHECKED THE LEGALITY OF ENGAGING IN SUCH ACTIVITIES AND ARE 100% CERTAIN THAT THEY ARE NOT BREAKING THE LAW. DO NOT PIRATE DVDS OR OTHER MEDIA THAT YOU DO NOT OWN OR WHEN IT IS AGAINST THE LAW. THE RIAA IS SERIOUS AND THE LAWSUITS ARE SERIOUS, SO MAKE SURE YOU CHECK INTO THE LEGALITY BEFORE YOU COPY ANY DVD OR USE ANY OF THE ABOVE APPLICATIONS OR INSTRUCTIONS.

Dinkus_Mayhem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
Did everyone pay for Toast? Or should that have come with my computer? Sizzle was stated to be with Jaguar... where do I find that? I'm a mac newB sorry.

sKaD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah you have to pay for Toast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
sKaD said:
Did everyone pay for Toast? Or should that have come with my computer? Sizzle was stated to be with Jaguar... where do I find that? I'm a mac newB sorry.

sKaD

sizzle can be found in your OS 10.2 install disk 3 (the developer tools)

Toast 6 is $80(USD)

OP
P

pinar

So, I tried to download OSEx. It doesn't work. I have Toast(5.2.1) on my computer(OSX 10.2.8) to burn DVD's, but I need a program to rip the DVD I want a back-up for. It is a movie DVD. I would very much appreciate any freeware suggestions. Oh, and if that helps, I don't care as much about the speed as quality.
Thanks!
P.S. I don't believe I need anything more than Toast and a program to rip the DVD, right?

MacAddikt said:
here are great programs:

OSEx
OSEx employs the DeCSS algorithm for decrypting video from encrypted DVDs. The output is MPEG-2 code.

Media Pipe
MediaPipe is a flexible framework to manipulate media on Mac OS X. It allows you to build decoding, filtering, encoding and even streaming pipelines that correspond exactly to your needs. Additionally, if a format is not supported, or a filter not available, it features a SDK that let you to quickly implement the pipe you want.

Sizzle 0.1
Comes with Jaguar developer tools. Sizzle is designed a tool for Mac OS X 10.2 and later that helps in the creation of reasonably basic, no-frills DVD Video discs. Sizzle takes MPEG-2 video and combines it with either MPEG Layer-II ("MP2") or Dolby Digital ("AC3") audio to create a disc image that can be burned to a recordable DVD or CD with a program like Disc Copy or Roxio Toast.

Sizzle 0.2 has been released since then.

OP
R

rjtedge

well of OSEx did not work then try dvd backup works just great. look at scad's guide

OP
P

pinar

so, i guess there is no way of doing it with free software, since i'd have to pay for dvd2ineX. or is there a different post of scad's somewhere else?
rjtedge said:
well of OSEx did not work then try dvd backup works just great. look at scad's guide

Reaction score
Can Anyone Help Assist Me In Using The Program Sizzle?...Maybe some tutorials...any help is appreciated

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It night be better to start a new thread with this question.

OP
V

videopal

How do I copy an Itunes song onto a CD or into a Powerpoint Presentation?

Thanks and I am Wayne Kurtz. How do I burn one of my ITunes songs onto a CD for my personal backup or onto my Powerpoint presentation?

Please let me know at [email protected]

Thank you! Wayne...

Amen-Moses said:
Just to double check, if I take mpeg movies from various CD singles and compile them onto DVD so I can watch them on my TV (or rather so my son can in his bedroom) when we own the CD's am I doing anything naughty? The files started out as QuickTime or Mpeg-1 files and are now currently being encoded by iDVD as I type ready to be burnt onto DVD-R, and all while I am browsing the web, typing this and also listening to Music with iTunes whilst it also imports CD tracks into Mp3 files for the music library, cool or what!

I was going to do the same for some DVD's (i.e by ripping the "out-takes" section of multiple DVD's in my collection to make a compilation of "funnies" for my viewing pleasure, I'd particularly like to put all the out-takes from the Lethal Weapons films onto one DVD because they are hilarious) but can't seem to make any of the freely available rippers work on OSX.

Another use I thought of for a ripper was to put compilations of various good jokes from my collection of stand-up DVD's (i.e Billy Connolly, Lee Evens etc) onto a single DVD for those moments when I need a laugh but can't be bothered with fast forwarding through the naff stuff to get it.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.