New iBook - 39Gigs full - of 40gigs! ***??

Reaction score
New iBook G4-
transferred selected files/apps from my iMac via firewire per startup choice when initially booting up iBook (its 1 day old)
Now the iBook's HD is stuffed to all but 700Mb!!
Yeah, I was selective about what to transfer (I thought) - so get this:
I did a "get info" (to check file sizes) on each of the icons the ibook's HD presents when you click it open:
Documents : 1.71 Gigs
Applications: 7.31 Gigs
Utilities: 405 Mb
Applications OS9 - This one the computer couldn't find! (??)
Pictures: 112 Kb
Music: 6Mb
Maureen (this is our Home file, if that is the correct term- is wifey): 2.43 gigs
Total is, what? 11Gigs!
So where did the rest of the 28Gigs go????? Even if I can't get the OS 9
Apps file to open, there is NO WAY it was 28Gigs in size (the original iMac OS9 Apps file is 310 Mb!)
Help!!
How do I unclog all the drive space? And even if I just wipe the drive and start from scratch - how do I get files over from iMac without ending up full again? (and also - why can't I find the contents of the Applications OS9 file?)
Many thanks in advance-
Stu Aull
stumped in Alaska

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Remember - the iBook wasn't empty when you got it:

OS X itself plus all the iLife apps can take up a couple of (8 or so I think), and your harddrive doesn't actually have 40GB when formatted - it's more like 36 I believe.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My ibook had maybe 29GB free on it when I got it. It's at 23 GB now. What iMac was this you copied the files from?

OP
Reaction score
Hi guys- thanks for quick response-
When I click "command-i" (Get Info) on the iBook HD it sez:
Capacity: 37.14 Gigs
Available: 794.1 MB (!!!)
Used: 36.36 Gigs
I figure (using "get info") the total capacity of what we dumped over from our desktop iMac G4 to the iBook is about 15Ggs (unless a TON of "secret" files comes along with it all??). So what else is clogging this up?? Surely there wasn't almost TWENTY gigs of software pre-loaded from Apple?!
suggestions??
Stu
Alaska

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.