how do I burn a disc?

Reaction score
I want to put a regular file onto a CD-R?

In windows I would just drag it to the CD and burn. How do I do it in a mac?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
most basic way.

create a burn folder on your desktop (right click > create burn folder).

drag the file(s) there. then an option you have on a burn folder is to "burn disc". you will be prompted to load a blank disc and then be prompted to name the disc and select your burn speed.

i've had much better luck waiting to load the blank media until prompted than loading it first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You alternatively can purchase Roxio's Toast software for my advanced burning. I highly recommend Toast Titanium, as will many others, I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
To burn a disc you need matches and flammable liquid. Be sure to stand in a well ventilated area, and stay back.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
or a microwave.

[disclaimer: do not cook a compact disc in a microwave!]

T

todd51

Create a burn folder, use Disk Utility, or any burning software such as Toast which is highly recommended by others and myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I personally find Toast to be overpriced if you just have simple requirements like burning a few files or a music CD every once in a while. I would suggest taking a look at a program called Burn. It's free and does all the basics. :black:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I personally find Toast to be overpriced if you just have simple requirements like burning a few files or a music CD every once in a while. I would suggest taking a look at a program called Burn. It's free and does all the basics. :black:

Is that Mac Burn? If so it's $29 and works well. Toast does more but for the basics it's great. Or you could just use the Burn Folders or the disk utility.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No, not Mac Burn, just a program called Burn. Here's the MacUpdate link: Burn

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, not Mac Burn, just a program called Burn. Here's the MacUpdate link: Burn

Yeah found it right after I posted that message! Looks great for a free application!! Thanks for the heads up.

Reaction score
I just use the built-in Burn Folder capability, which is so simple it's amazing. A friend of mine (78 year old photographer) called me over to his place a couple weeks ago to help him burn photos to a DVD using his Dell. After setting up the software, putting an icon on the desktop where he could find it easily, and giving him written instructions on exactly what steps to follow ... I showed him how easy it was on a Mac. :)

His next computer will be a MB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.