New here...and to macs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
So I just got my iMac today and im psyched! Still getting used to how different everything is and I'm sure it'll take a while to get used to it all and so far no complaints at all (well except for not having a right click option lol) but I just have one question and thats this:

What in gods green earth is up with web browsing everything looks tiny and zoomed out (compared to IE on windows) I've never had that problem before with IE on windows is there another web browser I can use instead of Safari that will give me a "normal" looking window like that on IE? I'm really not feeling how stuff looks in safari it just feels too wierd not too mention some site I frequent just look plain wierd/scrambled/spread out too far on it!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome Turtle! congrats on your new imac!

you should be able to scale up the text on safari pages. not sure where the setting is, but it should be in safari > preferences somewhere (i'm at work on windows now, so i can't be sure).

:)

OP
The Turtle!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
Have you tried a different browswer such as Firefox, Camino, or Opera?

Tried 'em all still getting that "funky" look to it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

you have a right click option!!!!!
I do? lol

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, right click is in system prefs > mouse (or mouse and trackpad), not sure how it will look on an imac.

or just hold the one button for a sec instead of clicking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
also the reason it may also be smaller is becuase the resolution on the iMac screen is probally much better then that of your other computer therefor everything apears smaller.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
This is how Safari looks on my 20" iMac (sorry about the rubbish in the background!):

safari.jpg

Does it look like that on yours?

My resolution is 1680 x 1050, so it's a massive resolution for a start and widescreen.

Consider that webpages are usually around 700 x 400 pixels, so that people with old 800 x 600 monitors can view them.

If you ran Windows at 1680 x 1050 resolution, it would look the same as the Mac and be very weird if you tried to fill the whole screen with Internet Explorer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
right clicking can also be achieved buy going out and buying a two button mouse. (that's what I did) OR you can just use the crappy MAC mice with one button and using cntrl click to access the pop down menu you get with right clicking.

My advice is to just get a new mouse.

As far as the copy being so small... I don't have a problem on my MBP... granted, diff comps. BUT... while you're in Safari, you can change the size of the text by holding down the apple/command button and pressing the plus or minus sign buttons.

SIMPLE AS PIE!
mmm I like pie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.