Everything Lost

Reaction score
Hi All, new mac user here messing things up!

All I did was drag and drop the folder containing all of my pictures, documents,library etc etc onto the "macintosh HD" resulting in now not being able to locate anything, even my desktop and settings have reverted back to the biginning. I have looked in spotlight for files that I know the names of with no joy.

What do i need to do?, Im going to loose sleep on this one

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Hi! I'm at work and away from my Mac, so I'll try this from memory.

Open Finder. Press Command-G. You'll be presented with a window asking you what directory you want to open. Enter a slash:

/

It should bring you to the topmost directory of your system. In there you should see what you thought you lost. Post what you see back here. DON'T TRY TO MOVE ANYTHING YET. My guess is you have lost nothing. It's just sitting in the top directory (also known as the root directory).

Good luck.

OP
J
Reaction score
Command G

Thanks for the reply,

Tried command-G and various other letters but dont seem to get a responce, from finder???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My error. Sorry. I'm on my Mac at home now. It's Shift-Command-G. Menu: Go> Go to Folder...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
<bump>

You there James? :doctor:

OP
J
Reaction score
hi

Hi, I'm here but not on my mac, feeling safer on my crashing pc for the time being. I will try the command shift G and see what happens.

Presumably all of my data is still on the mac just no way of the os recognising it?

Would a data recovery app help?

Many thanks

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi, I'm here but not on my mac, feeling safer on my crashing pc for the time being. I will try the command shift G and see what happens.

Presumably all of my data is still on the mac just no way of the os recognising it?

Would a data recovery app help?

Many thanks

James
My guess is that you simply moved things to the root directory. Once you look there, you should find everything sitting there. At that point it's probably a matter of dragging the folders to your main directory. You don't (or shouldn't) need a recovery app. It's a Mac.

Anyone else may feel free to advise!

OP
J
Reaction score
hmm

Just had another go on my mac and tried "command shift G" and nothing happend...I'm starting to feel like my vocation is misplaced and I should be a Beta tester, I seem to break things quite successfully :(

Really kind of you to offer help tho, thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, try this. Make sure you're in Finder. Then at the menu bar, follow this path:

Go> Go to Folder...

This should get you the dialog window. If it does, then enter the slash, return, and see what's there. Good luck!

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi

I've just done that and looked through all of the files, unfortunately no joy as there are only five images that are currently in "my documents"

I'm not going to do anything workwise on this station through fear of over-writing anything. I spoke to a guy/engineer and its going to cost me an arm and a leg to take it to a repair center...

Presubaly and form of "system restore" that I have relied on with a pc isnt available with Tiger?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay. Good luck!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
have you tried searching in spotlight for any of the filenames that you lost?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.