problems with G5 think ive figured them out

M

mtq1000

some people have got probelsm with the G5 just crashing, i think ive figured out my problems with it. I think its to do with the temp of the cpu. My G5 doesnt crash once its been on for an hour or so but before then it crashes a fair bit. Anyone else think this could have anything to do with it?

OP
S

StarManta

Heat is often an issue with the "latest and greatest" computer equipment, and the G5 is notorious for running hot. I think the 10.3.3 update includes improved control of the fans, so I'd expect anyone who has run this will notice fewer crashes if this is the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
All the sweet G5 towers in the Apple store near me run all day all week for demos. They don't crash at all - and anyone that walks in can play around all they want. If there is any problem, it won't be hard to fix! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
WhiteShark - i was just thinking that same thing....Why don't the G5's i the Apple Stores every crash? BTW: WhiteShark- do you work at an Apple Store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
I usually leave my G5 on for about 2 weeks before I ever do a restart or shutdown. And that's usually on when I install something that requires it.

I've never had it crash. I only have the single 1.8GHz so I'm sure I don't produce as much heat as the Dual 2s do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
ApplejustWorks said:
WhiteShark - i was just thinking that same thing....Why don't the G5's i the Apple Stores every crash? BTW: WhiteShark- do you work at an Apple Store?
No I thought about it, but some of the questions I know I'd hear might **** me off :p But I sure do love Macs! It's what Linux will be when it grows up...
:)

OP
W

WilliS

its not a heat issue... although i agree they can get hot....

your statement is sorta... counter intuitive if it was a heat problem, the longer it was on, the more heat problem you would have... so your crashing isnt because of heat... from what i believe..

this summer you might see some heat problems... people without air conditioning, and living it pretty warm climates might run into some problems... it didnt happen when they were first released because by the time the mass population got their G5's it was already fall hehe.

but i would suggest to anyone with a G5, who is running off the install that came from the factory, to back up all your stuff, and clean house... format/partition the hard drive, and reinstall your OS.

these computers have all been multicasted the image... and shipped out without much checking to make sure eveything worked out ok...

we do it at work all the time... i work for my highschool when i come home from college, doing misc. computer work for both pc and mac... and we just turn em all on, bring a powebook back to the main data frame, pop it in the uplink, and broadcast the install over the network... then each computer will pick it up and install the new image that we have worked on... which is locked down to keep kids like me from breaking through their security and putting silly backgrounds on their computers lol.

and of course all the G5s at the store will work ;) if they dont, they send em back... and once you have one that does work, it will always work ;) hehe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Agreed, and just doing that first thing on a new one too -- what's there to lose? I did on my Mac the first night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
why would you want to reinstall the os when it just came with a brand new os on it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.