Why won't Apple Remote Desktop Connect to my PC?

Reaction score
I've got ARD installed on my macbook pro and I've got VNC installed on my PC (with the firewall allowing port 5900). ARD sees the computer and says "VNC on" and when I hit connect the VNC in the task bar of the PC changes color (I assume that means its trying to connect). But it won't connect. It just says "connecting to computer" and I eventually just have to hit stop. I'm using a 2wire router and I'm pretty sure I've configured the ports correctly.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? I know its not a firewall issue because I turned the firewall off on the PC to see if it would work and still no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
I've not tried ARD, but you could always try Chicken of the VNC and see if that works on the Mac end instead. That should uncover whether the problem is with ARD or with VNC.

I've recently had no end of problems with VNC. I suspect some Windows Update component has started interfering with it, because it's always worked fine in the past. Bit odd though, I'm not sure why that would happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.