Please help, PB keyboard related issues

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 12" G4 Powerbook

About 2 months ago my F4 and F5 (volume up and down) buttons randomly stopped working. No big deal, I wasn't particularly fussed.

Now, as of this morning I have found out my R, T and C buttons have stopped working, along with the 5,6 and 7 keys. The main problem is.. I can't log on to my PB as my admin password contains an R twice. I can't see any water damage, there is no apparent muck/fluff etc under or near the key.

I can't do the thing where I would boot it as a hardrive and transfer files onto another laptop via Firewire.. as that requires the T button. And any password resetting techniques I can find on the internet require one of the broken keys at some point.

So.. can I just plug a USB keyboard (this one perhaps - http://www.macupgrades.co.uk/store/product_info.php?products_id=213 ) in without any sort of CD installation so I can type my password, log on and save my latest music/photos/files before sending it off for a new keyboard/repair.

Before you say it, I have backed up most of my stuff to a Lacie drive, but its only 80GB, and filled up a while ago, and there is important uni work on my laptop I need to rescue.

Any help appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
any usb keyboard should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.