macbook turning off when i unplug the power cord

Reaction score
My macbook says the battery is fully charged, but when I unplug it, the macbook turns off. It won't turn on until I plug back the power cord. What is up with my mac?! I had it sent 3 times before for problems non-relating to this problem. Could they have messed up my mac again? It has been about 2-3 weeks since I got it back from repair.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
have you checked the battery lights on the bottom?

you could try a system management reset

link

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm assuming you tried to reseat the battery?

did you try the SMC reset?

OP
T
Reaction score
i tried the smc reset. and now my mac doesnt recognize the battery. is my batter possible dead? thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
do the lights on the bottom light up?

could be the battery, could be the power management system.
either way, is it less than a year old or did you buy the additional applecare? it may be heading back to the shop. it is conceiveable they messed something up.

OP
T
Reaction score
the bottom right light doesnt light up. i didnt buy additional applecare, but yes it is less than a year old. i bought it in august of 2006. this will be the fourth time it is being sent back to the depot if it needs repair. the depot messed up the first time and replaced something else. the second time they fixed the alignment problem, but they messed up my cd drive and scratched my macbook. the third time they fixed everything nicely and everything worked until this battery problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I had the same problem with my ibook. I know the systems and hardware are different, but apple genius bar said it was a bad dc in board. The board was bad and the battery wasn't charging due to bad connections on the baord itself. Plugged in, everything ran fine, but the minute the cord was jiggled or unplugged the ibook died. battery lights were dead as well due to it not charging. Apple told me it wasn't covered under warranty. Anyway, thats one of the reasons I am sitting here typing this post on my new macbook. Maybe you have the same thing wrong, maybe not. If so, it is a pretty simple, straight-forward fix on the ibook, not sure about the macbook.

OP
T
Reaction score
i just went up to my friend's dormroom and toook her battery to put into mine. her worked perfectly on mine and my battery didnt start up her mac. i think it is my battery because my ac adapter is fine. mac better give me a new battery because i am pretty mad with my macbook right. less than half a year and there have been too many problems. my light on the bottom right is currently not on and the battery not recognized. i dont know whats wrong.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.