Viewing a PDF file without downloading?

Reaction score
Whenever I open a PDF, or even a Word file from a website it always downloads and saves onto my desktop. I don't want that to happen. Is there a way to just open a file without saving it?

Thanks

Reaction score
One way or the other, the file has to get downloaded; otherwise your computer doesn't have the data to open.

Some programs will download to a TEMP folder and delete unwanted files once in a while; Safari downloads everything to the folder you indicate. This is actually a better set-up, in my opinion, because it lets you find the downloaded file easily if you want to keep it, and lets you delete it easily if you don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you are using Safari, it can open PDFs in the browser window.

Reaction score
lets you find the downloaded file easily if you want to keep it said:
I can neither find nor delete file easily, because it is automatically given a weird name (or number). It's a real palaver to find or delete them, involving viewing them all individually and then deleting when I can see what it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.