2 iPods; 1 Computer - How does that work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod 8GB Nano
I currently have an iPod Nano & I am considering getting my wife an iPod as well (maybe a shuffle).

We generally like different music, and I wouldn't want her music on my iPod, and she wouldn't want a lot of mine on hers. However there is some music I imagine we would like on both.

I know each iPod has a different "Name" assigned to it. How does this relate to synching multiple iPods to a single iTunes library on a single PC? Currently iTunes is "mine" and has all my music on it. Should she taint it with her music.....what happens?

Anyone with experience, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes, she could load her music onto the computer, too.

Then, under iPod preferences (while her iPod is connected) you can uncheck "Automatically sync library to iPod".

Then she can manually drag the songs she wants.

Reaction score
surfwax beat me to it but fwiw, my wife's 80G iPod and my Shuffle both use my MBP as their iTunes base without trouble. I don't have either iPod set up to sync automatically, so I choose which music and files to put on each one separately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I do the same with my two iPods, a Nano and a 5G 30G video. Works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Without clicking the above link (because I'm lazy), the alternative to manually managing music is to synch only playlists. You keep yours in a smart playlist and sync your iPod to only that playlist and she does the same for hers. That works out best for both of you.

That being said, I have 7 iPods (don't ask) and 2 of them synch to playlists, the rest are all manual.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Without clicking the above link (because I'm lazy), the alternative to manually managing music is to synch only playlists. You keep yours in a smart playlist and sync your iPod to only that playlist and she does the same for hers. That works out best for both of you.

That being said, I have 7 iPods (don't ask) and 2 of them synch to playlists, the rest are all manual.

first off, you are lazy ;) and second why do you need an ipod for every day of the week?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
first off, you are lazy ;) and second why do you need an ipod for every day of the week?

I like to make a fashion statement......
Inclassable38.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I like to make a fashion statement......
Inclassable38.gif

LOL.

I do the same things with the playlists to sync mulitiple ipods. My library is the largest in the family so my family comes to be when they want to sync their ipods because I have such an amazing collection of music that all people like (and its all legal too!) So my mom can listen to her music on the treadmill, my brother can listen to his when he wants, I have mine, and my dad uses my moms. They tell me what songs to buy.. I do.. Then put it in their playlist, and then if anybody else likes the song, it goes in their playlist too. So the playlist idea has been well tested and works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.