Trackpad issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I'm having a bit of bother with my trackpad. It seems to be quite slow and not always responsive. I find it a bit odd because I've just installed Windows XP via Boot Camp, and the trackpad works perfectly in Windows. Only when I return to OS X it starts to become quite awkward to move the cursor on-screen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
I should add that I have already had a look in the trackpad settings and deselected 'ignore accidental trackpad input' (as I read elsewhere that this could be a factor in having problems with it). Other than that I have found little documentation of anyone else having trouble with it.

Reaction score
Do you ever notice that your left thumb is touching the top of the trackpad when you are using it?
I have noticed that the large size of the macbook pro trackpads causes me to accidentally rest my left thumb on it, causing odd trackpad behaviors similar to what you are discribing.
This happens for me, mostly because I only use Windows for FPS gaming, which has a different standard hand position than typing. I think this is what causes me to have more troubles in MacOSX than Windows. Since I realized this I have trained myself to keep my left hand clear of the trackpad unless I need it.
Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Bluesmudge makes a great point, as I suffer from the same situation. Not that big of a deal, but sometimes I do get a few times where my trackpad doesn't want to work for me.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your replies, guys. I'm not sure that this is the case with me, as I was noticing it happening even while reading your messages, and I was just using my right hand with my left hand nowhere near the keyboard or the trackpad.

Can anyone recommend the best settings to have on for the trackpad?

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Can't say it's necessarily the best settings, but these are how my MBP is set up.

trackpadsettings.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.