Partioned harddrive

Reaction score
When I got my G4 about 5 years ago, I had a partitoned harddrive so that I could run both OS9 & OSx. I recently updated my OSx to Tiger, and no longer use os9, so wanted to utilise that space it's taking up. I want to unpartition the harddrive, but not sure if that's possible without losing all the stuff I've installed for OSx (something I don't want to do). Is it possible?

Reaction score
If you used Disk Utility, which is most likely, then you have to backup everything and reformat to get one partition. If that is a deal breaker, then just delete everything on the System 9 partition and use the space for storage. It will be somewhat inflexible and annoying, but that is the only choice I know of short of reformatting.

But it shouldn't be a problem because you have a full backup of your entire hard drive... right?!:bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Perhaps it might be best to simply reformat the partition to HFS+ and call it a day? This makes the space available to you, albiet as another logical drive. However, it is all available at that time, and perhaps you could move one logical chunk of your personal stuff (perhaps your iTunes library) to it?

There is even a minimal advantage to this setup - if your main OS X disk ever gets logically corrupted, the files you have placed over on the second partition will be safe and sound. A minor advantage, given that Mac OS X doesn't seem inclined to corrupt volumes very often, but still an advantage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.