Wireless Router problems with iMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook g3 900mhz 256mb ram 40gb, 2.16ghz 20" iMac, 1gb ram 250gb hd.
Hello all, am new here.

I've recently purchased a new G5 20" iMac, but have hit a snag trying to set up the internet.

I'm using a D-link Dl-524 router and a D-link DSL-502T, followed all the instructions (they had instructions for setting up with a mac included).

The network status says built in ethernet working, that I have an i.p and i'm connected to the internet, but the diagnostics say the internet isn't working, and ofcourse I can't get on to any websites.

I need a username and password on my windows computer to connect to the internet, (which I do using just a normal DSL modem, this situation with the iMac is the first time i've tried to set up a wireless network too), so i'm thinking I need to use a PPoE connection, but there are no instructions on how to use this...

Any help would be great.

BTW the iMac and the iBook I bought were purchased a couple of weeks ago, they are my first macs as my family and I decided we were sick of windows...as so many people do!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Does your DSL Modem have a PPPoE Dialer? What brand model is the modem? If not you set up the PPPoE in the DI-524. I have a DI-524 here. I can help if you need help setting it up.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello all, am new here.

I've recently purchased a new G5 20" iMac, but have hit a snag trying to set up the internet.

I'm using a D-link Dl-524 router and a D-link DSL-502T, followed all the instructions (they had instructions for setting up with a mac included).

The network status says built in ethernet working, that I have an i.p and i'm connected to the internet, but the diagnostics say the internet isn't working, and ofcourse I can't get on to any websites.

I need a username and password on my windows computer to connect to the internet, (which I do using just a normal DSL modem, this situation with the iMac is the first time i've tried to set up a wireless network too), so i'm thinking I need to use a PPoE connection, but there are no instructions on how to use this...

Any help would be great.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Modem is a D-link DSL-502T

I'm not too sure if my modem has a PPPoE dialer...

Any help would be most appreciated, cheers

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Dlink DSL-502T is both a DSL Modem and Router. You can't use Two routers at the same time. You can use your Dlink DI-524 as a WiFi Access point to provide your Mac Internet Wirelessly. Still reading up on the DSL-502t.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
It sounds as though you have MAC filtering turned on in the router, so it isn't giving your iMac a regular IP address, but one like 169.x.x.x (I don't remember the other values). Turn MAC filtering off or, better yet for security, add your iMac's MAC address to your router (open Terminal, type in ifconfig en0 and write down the MAC address next to the word ether. It should be an alpha-numeric series of numbers and letters like: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wether I use the DSL-502T or not, I just need a way to network the i-mac and my i-book together wirelessly, with them both using the internet. Will this be possible?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about that duplicate thread, not sure how it happend, can they be merged?

How can I turn off mac filtering Karudzo...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.