honk kong virus

buc

Reaction score
:eek:neye: hi everyone. i think i may have been hit by this hong kong virus. symptoms include random activity which fills my start up disk and instant loss of hard-drive memory. i have tried to run some anti-virus software but nothing turns up. i have also searched for "DB" and printer spooler in hidden files but could find nothing. any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Are you talking about a Mac virus?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Mac do you own? What OS? That is a 1997 virus for old Mac OS. It has nothing to do with OSX in any way at all. There are no known virus's for OSX at this point.

OP
B

buc

Reaction score
hk worm/virus

i guess it could technically be called a worm. i have never dealt with this type if thing before so i'm not sure of the lingo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
That worm was designed for System 7, believe me - it can't do anything on OS X.

Check activity monitor to see what else could be the problem. How much free harddrive space do you have?

Every OS uses the harddrive as swap memory - a sort of overflow for when your RAM is full.

That can take up a few GB's if you're doing a lot.

OP
B

buc

Reaction score
i usually run this thing pretty hard using both final cut and logic. i have never had a problem before. when i started noticing the symptoms i let the computer rest. i went to sleep last night with 3gigs of memory and when i woke up this morning there was only 100k. i keep transferring files to my external hard-drive so as to free up space but that space keeps disappearing.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Check you log files, you may have an application lock in a loop. Also have you rebooted your system lately.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
something may have filled up the windowserver log.
not sure if a reboot fixes that or not. but you could delete it.

this thread might help you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.