Proxy issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz, 1 GB RAM
Greetings, my macbook is having trouble connecting to my wireless internet. It didn't work last night, but finally did after I clicked "automatic proxy configuration" under 'proxies' under Network (in the sys. prefs). For some reason the internet was down again tonight and the same box was unchecked. I checked it, hoping the internet would work, but it didn't. Oddly enough, I'll check the box for 'automatic proxy configuration' and when I go back, it's unchecked. I've restarted, turned the airport off, and even locked the page w/ my password. To no avail, the box unchecks itself. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Thanks so much for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
It sounds like your Airport preferences file was corrupted. Delete it at:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz, 1 GB RAM
I tried this and then restarted. Unfortunately it's still doing the same thing. I also noticed that 'network status' told me that "Airport does not have an IP address". I don't know if that helps. Thanks

P.S. Honestly, I'm not even sure if that "auto proxy config" box is supposed to be checked. I just know that when I'd checked it last time, the internet worked.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz, 1 GB RAM
Well, perhaps the solution posted above actually fixed the problem. I came home today and the box remained checked and the internet works. Thanks so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.