IMAC- 2 Questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
hi, i have an iMac core2duo 2.16ghz 2gb ram, and i have 2 questions that i reeallly need answered!
1. I have 2gb of ram, and there are 2 ram slots, but the site says it can hold up to 3gb. The only possible way to do this would be if i had a 2gb stick and a 1 gb stick. Are these 2gb sticks hard to come by and is it worth it to go with the 3gb rather than the 2?

**2. PLEASE ANSWER THIS ONE, I DONT CARE IF UR SURE JUST GIVE ME A SUGGESTION PLEAAAAASSSEEE!**
Ok, so my imac has this problem where it's user interface sound effects stop playing. There are no speakers connected, and the volume is up. The sounds are turned on in system prefs, and all other sounds work (like itunes). A restart cures the problem but it returns after a day or so. I've tried repairing disk permissions, deleteing soundpref files, and messin in system prefs, to no avail. (in case u dont kno what sounds im talking about, its the trash emptying, iChat noises, that error noise, and other UI sounds). PLEASE HELP!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
2GB RAM stick They're kind of expensive but not impossible to come by.

More RAM = more performance - However I guess it depends on what you want to do with your Mac - the more RAM you have, the more applications you can run at a single time.

No idea on your second question - but did you try this (not sure if it's anything related - just a suggestion) Clicky

Reaction score
G'day narf1899,

Q2. Go to Macintosh HD>Applications>Utilities>Audio MIDI Setup (press Shift+Command+U to take you straight to your Utilities folder) and look for System Settings:

Default Input:  Built-in Input
Properties For:  Built-in Output
Default Output:  Built-in Output
System Output:  Built-in Output
Audio Output, Source: Internal Speakers
Format: 44100.0Hz

tell me if it has the above settings or if they are different.

Reaction score
2GB RAM stick They're kind of expensive but not impossible to come by.

More RAM = more performance - However I guess it depends on what you want to do with your Mac - the more RAM you have, the more applications you can run at a single time.

I had a wierd experience re: 2Gb Ram stick.

I rang Apple Aust to ask about upgrading my iMac C2d's RAM and because the iMac had left the production line and was in my possession, the lady couldn't tell me the cost of a 2Gb stick because they didn't have any nor would they be getting any in - I then said ... "hey, can't you just look on the stock sheet for the price" but basically she had no idea of the price unless I was upgrading while my iMac was stil on the production line ... why ?? Because they weren't authorized to sell them, they didn't know the retail-over-the counter-price .... ! I did later find out that to buy 1Gb X 1 + 2Gb X 1 would set me back just under AUS$1,000.

If you upgrade on the production line when you pre-order ... the cost of RAM is about half of what you pay if you ask your AppleStore to add more RAM later ....

OP
narf1899
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450
Pulse, here is my audio midi settings:
Default input: Built in Microphone
Properties for: Built in Microphone
Defualt output: Built in Output
System output: Built in Output
Audio Input/Output: Source: Internal microphone (only option)
44100.0Hz 2ch-24bit

Wat shud i change????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 gig is plenty really. 3 is a bit over the top.

667 DDRII is expensive at the best of times, and the SODIMMs the iMac uses are even more pricey.

Reaction score
Pulse, here is my audio midi settings:
Default input: Built in Microphone
Properties for: Built in Microphone
Defualt output: Built in Output
System output: Built in Output
Audio Input/Output: Source: Internal microphone (only option)
44100.0Hz 2ch-24bit

Wat shud i change????

Try changing the 1st two to what I have in my earlier post. See if that changes anything.

?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
Don't know if this will help - Click

His issue was different to yours but he said that it recaptures control of the soundcard. I don't know much about all this but remembered seeing this link a while back and thought it may be worth a try. Hope it helps...

OP
narf1899
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm i will try that garageband thing thanks....

oh, and the reason i was thinking about buying more ram is because my iMac's gotta last me 4 more years, and i don't want it to become obselete. I might need the extra gig to run leopard and w/e OS comes after that.

OP
narf1899
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
oh and i have one more question...
when you upgrade to leopard, is tiger still on ur computer? can u stil boot it? or does it free up the HD space that tiger was taking up? and if u upgraded from panther to tiger to leopard, can u still boot all three?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
It over writes it. But you can partition your HD and have more than one OS on your HD, and boot from any of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
oh, and the reason i was thinking about buying more ram is because my iMac's gotta last me 4 more years, and i don't want it to become obselete. I might need the extra gig to run leopard and w/e OS comes after that.

It's doubtful Leopard will struggle at all with 2 gig of RAM. I think it will be a few years before you'll need 3 and you might as well wait til then, when SODIMMs will be much cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.