Unstable wireless connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Hi,

Hope this is in the right section if not please move to the right place.

Right now for the question. For some reason on my MBP i'm not getting very good connection to my wireless router. When doing a speed test on the MBP I only get 300 max (I'm on a 4mb connection). When downloading from usenet I'm only maxing at 300-350 but the connections drops alot. Now before you ask if I have set up my router and MBP right I have (i think!). I also have a laptop running XP witch when doing speed test and downloading off usenet I always max out my connection. In general my MBP feels alot slower when surfing the net. Any ideas what could be wrong?

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
connect to your network using the ethernet port this will tell you if it is your connection or your wireless.
However 300kbs sounds about right internet download speed for a 4mb connection, it also depends on what speed there internet is... for example a download from the apple update site will be quicker than that from a friend over an IM

OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
just checked with ethernet and sppeds i'm getting is 400 checked again wirelessly and i now getting 400. The thing is when i download from usenet (using igrabnews) I get 400 for a while then nothing then 100 then a bit more and so on. the speeds are never constant. But when i use my laptop (xp) to download from usenet (using grabit) on the same server and group and the same file i always get a constant 400? Why is this? This is same when using bootcamp. The windows side is far quicker at downloading than the osx side? Dont eally want to use windows to download only play games.

any ideas or surgestions would be a great help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.