• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iSight = USB?

Reaction score
I just found a great site for free videomail but I had a heck of a time figuring out how to set it up with my MacBook. The answer was that I had to go into the Flash Player settings and choose my iSight camera. Only problem was, my camera wasn't listed as a menu option. I played around and finally chose USB as my camera which instantly popped my ugly mug into the online video recorder. Can anyone tell me why a smart company like Adobe (they're smart. right?) can't tell the difference between an iSight camera and a USB camera?
(btw, the gabmail service is at freegabmail.com and *not* gabmail.com - also confusing and frustrating.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
See, it's kindof confusing. In a MacBook, the iSight is listed as a USB devide because it's on an internal USB port. I think that's why there are problems with IM services using it for video chatting. It is just registered to the computer in a weird way.

OP
John Case
Reaction score
Thanks Jeff. Strange that they can't resolve the name issue.

btw, GabMail isn't IM, it's video email that's so simple even I can do it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.