might buy a used G4 PCI with 10.2

S

sm8000

My mother has a PowerMac G4 PCI 400MHz with 10.2 loaded on it. She's thinking of selling it to get an Apple notebook, and if she does I'm thinking of buying it. Just wanted to ask a few things, as this would make me a first-time Mac owner....

I've heard that OS X doesn't support ZIF CPU upgrade cards. Is that so? 10.2 seems to run a bit sluggish on this 400, what would you suggest to give it a boost? It has 384MB of RAM, and a 40GB Maxtor hard drive. Video card is an ATi Rage 128 Pro (PCI).

I have some PCI cards I'd like to use in this system. None of their manufacturers have Apple drivers on their websites. Is it possible at all to use these cards in this system? Are there drivers out there, official or not, that'll help me? The cards are: ATi All-In-Wonder VE, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, and two SCSI cards by LSI Logic.

Thanks for helping the newbie!

OP
C

Chamorro

sm8000 said:
I've heard that OS X doesn't support ZIF CPU upgrade cards. Is that so? 10.2 seems to run a bit sluggish on this 400, what would you suggest to give it a boost? It has 384MB of RAM, and a 40GB Maxtor hard drive. Video card is an ATi Rage 128 Pro (PCI).

Can't really answer abou the PCI cards, but....
If it''s running 10.2 already, it will run /w an upgrade. What you've heard pretains to computers that will not run OS X natively (i.e. pre-G3 processors), although there are workarounds for some of the older computers too.
I recommend more RAM, larger HD and better graphics card too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.