Normal Temp for G5 DP 1.8?

P

powermacg5

My G5 dual 1.8 is running at 130 degrees Fahrenheit....is that appropriate when running barely any apps? (Only things I have open right now are Safari and Mail.)

OP
P

powermacg5

Okay well thanks for all the lovely tips. Regardless, my G5 is now overheating any time I try to play a game or do anything signigicant. It's running at 135 degrees right now, again with nothing but Mail and Safari open.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I call Apple and request a refund?

OP
R

RobDreugan

powermacg5 said:
Okay well thanks for all the lovely tips. Regardless, my G5 is now overheating any time I try to play a game or do anything signigicant. It's running at 135 degrees right now, again with nothing but Mail and Safari open.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I call Apple and request a refund?

I honestly don't see why you wouldn't have called apple first, who has the answers to this. It's like your bitter b/c you expect tech support the instant you ask the question.

W/o any of us looking it up, I could probably guarantee you no one instinctively knows the temperature that a G5 should run at.

Personally, if I thought the several thousand dollar investment that I just purchased was overheating, the last thing I'd do is go to a message board.

Call apple, this isn't brain surgery.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Okay, after all that what is the normal operating temperature?

I look at the Apple site and found 50-95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
rman said:
Okay, after all that what is the normal operating temperature?

I look at the Apple site and found 50-95.

Actually rman, I think the numbers you posted are the range of temperatures that the machine can operate within (as in the temperature inside the room). ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe you are right. They were the only numbers I could find.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
rman said:
I believe you are right. They were the only numbers I could find.

Me too. I figured it out after I saw the same numbers listed for the Studio Displays. :D

OP
R

RobDreugan

i'm kinda surprised that they operate that low. I would have thought +-20 degrees on the maximum 90.

Pretty cool that they can run that cool. Hmm that's redundant, ah well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
How can you tell how warm/cool your G5 is running at?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.