IM Client

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
I am about a month new to the new Mac. Since Day 1 I have been using Adium as my IM client. I like it however I am having alot of problems with file transfers. I tried out iChat last night and file transfers have been working fine. I'd like to continue using iChat but the sounds are really lame. Is there a way to get different sound sets for iChat like you can with Adium? I have not found much info doing searches so my guess is no, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Your sound settings are located in the Alerts tab of your iChat system preferences. From there you can add any sounds that you wish to use. As far as "sets" of sounds are concerned, I don't know if you can import bulk blocks of media into the program or not.

Also, if you plan on using iChat as your primary instant messenger (I do, it just mixes with the OS better in my opinion), you should download Chax which is an awesome set of additions to the program (*It adds tabbed messaging which I think is a huge deal for people who prefer Adium).

Reaction score
Does iChat allow you to chat on other networks? I'm trying to find a versatile chat program. I don't like Adium as it didn't show all my contacts that were online, only some of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
iChat supports AIM/ICQ, .Mac, Jabber, and Google Talk (read: configuring iChat for Google via Jabber)natively.

There is apparently also a way to communicate with people on MSN Messenger and Yahoo! Messenger servers, but I have no experience with such things. Here is the article if you are interested.

I am definitely a fan of iChat and use it as my only instant messaging software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.