MacBook or MacBook Pro (Need advice)

Reaction score
Hey,

My name is Slava and I was looking to purchase a MacBook. I've never owned a Mac before, so I'm not really that knowledgeable when it comes to choosing the one that's right for me. I decided to get a Mac because I'm starting University this year (I'm doing a BE (Aerospace), if you're interested), and I wanted a laptop that would compliment my new learning environment, as well as enabling me to complete any engineering assignments I get given. I didn't want a PC, because knowing me, I'd install games on it or something and waste all my time in lectures being distracted. Anyway, getting to the point. I need some help deciding whether to get the MacBook or the MacBook Pro. I have no idea what the differences are besides the hardware, so I was hoping someone could advise me what would suit my needs. I was leaning towards the 15" 2.33GHz MacBook Pro, but again, I have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
What do you need it for, as in which apps are you going to be running?
If they're not too graphics intensive (3D / Latest games etc.) then the Macbook will be fine unless you prefer the larger screen.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Its is really down to what you want....

The pro has a good graphics card, but if your not playing games or 3D work (maybe you will a little). Also the screen size is bigger. The MB has a better battery life but a smaller screen and a shared card that is fine for most people. Also smaller screen means it is easier to carry around, doesn't it?

If you need a good graphics card or a larger screen go for the pro. But your not bothered about that then buy the MB. Either way you are getting a fast machine that will more than meet your needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
If you are going to have to get AutoCAD or do and CAD work on your Mac, then go with a Pro. If you are getting it to do basic things, like word processing, web browsing, mail, chatting, etc., then I would definitely say get a MacBook. I just finished my first semester at University, and I decided to go with a MacBook. I couldn't have been happier. It took care of all my computing needs, and then some. I got the black MacBook with 2Gb of RAM, and a 2Ghz Core Duo processor. Like I said, I was thoroughly pleased.

OP
F
Reaction score
Oh, I just realised that the MacBook only comes with a 13" screen. I'll definitely be getting a MacBook Pro in that case. The question is, should I bother with the 2.33GHz version, or will the 2.16GHz one be powerful enough? I kind of stopped following the performance of CPUs after everything went Dual Core, so I have no idea how a Core 2 Duo performs (I'm guessing quite well =P ).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
If you plan on dual-booting with Windows and play some games on the off time, I'd recommend the 2.33Ghz version as it comes with the beefiest video card Apple offers, the ATi Mobility Radeon X1600 with 256MB RAM, as opposed to 128MB RAM in the 2.16Ghz version.

For reference, I have the 17" MBP (same specs as 15" 2.33Ghz) and running Half-Life 2 under Windows via BootCamp at 1680x1050 and high detail across the board, with 4x Anti-aliasing, I'm averaging near 100fps, dipping to the mid 50s or so in heavy fire situations. Battlefield 1942 runs great as well, along with a plethora of racing games.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
To be honest I dont think many people will notice the difference between a 2.33 and 2.16. And then you have to ask if it is worth it or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.