Can't connect to wireless network, but other's can...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone
Hey everybody I have a question. When I take my laptop to one of my classes in particular, I cannot connect to the campus network. I get the message, "There was an error joining the network 'ASU'." At first I didn't care because I thought I was just out of range or whatever but today I noticed other people on the internet and they seem to be connected fine. I also sat by a kid with a MacBook and asked if he ever had any problems connecting to the campus network and he said no. So it seems that it must be my computer that is having problems connecting, right? What can I do? Thanks!:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you asked your school's IT department to check this out for you yet?

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No I didn't even think about that since it's not really a universal problem for everyone, it's just me..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There could be specific settings that need to be entered in your networking preferences. The only people that would be able to tell you what those are with 100% accuracy are your school's IT department. You should get in touch with them.

:black:

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm maybe I'll ask them then. Is that all I can do? There's nothing wrong with my laptop right?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you connect to other WiFi networks without problems?

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, in my dorm and in all my other classes and at the library I can connect to the main campus network fine. And when I go home to my parents house I connect to their wireless network. I have never had any problems before.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah, in my dorm and in all my other classes and at the library I can connect to the main campus network fine. And when I go home to my parents house I connect to their wireless network. I have never had any problems before.

I agree with DB, Check with the network people and see if there is something special there that needs setting. The very fact another person with a macbook can connect shows it's not some OSX issue.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah that's what freaked me out. I'll just give them a call tomorrow I guess. I just hope nothing is wrong with my airport card or anything.

Reaction score
I have the same issue on campus aswell. Its intermittent though. I'll be sitting in the lecture auditorium and sometimes I get a slight signal, other times there is not signal an I cannot connect. Same error too. I look around and again, I see alot of non-macs connected. I also sat next to a macbook and she was connected fine and I didn't have signal. I would wait bout 10 minutes and I would get a slight signal for like 30 seconds or so. Sounds like a computer specific settings issue. I spose I could try calling my IT department too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
my school has a wifi network that uses the leap protocol.

this could be the exact reason its not letting you on, your lappy isnt configured properly.

im 99% sure its software related, after all it works everywhere else.

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
Is you system software up to date?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
i have the same problem at my school.....none of the tech support guys could ever figure it out, then one day it just started working again.....never could figure it out.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, my software is up to date.

Kgeier, is there anything I can do to "configure" it properly?

I talked to IT today and they said it must be my computer since others are allowed on but not mine. They did say that the particular building I was in only has certain areas that have wireless access but I must be in that part since others are capable of getting on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
try trashing all of the airport related p.list files in your library/preferences folder

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
open up finder, click on your hard disk, and then go to Library->preferences->, and you will see a bunch of com.apple.xxxxxxx.plist files. drag any of them that have to do with airport stuff (i cant remember how many off the top of my head...2 or 3 maybe??) into the trash, empty the trash, and then restart your computer. OSX will make new, fresh files upon restart. You may have corrupted a preference file, and that is what is not letting you connect. If thats the case, then this will fix it.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see any that have to do with airport. There is one that says networkconfig.plist. Is that one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep....and any others that say internet....ill try to be more specific later when i can get to my mac and help you out.

OP
Rizzo
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah if you could tell me exact things to delete that would help. I'm scared to delete something I'm not supposed to lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.