Mass file renaming

Reaction score
Is there any way to rename all the files in a specific directory (including files in subdirectories) to lowercase?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
You could also use automator to do this if you know how to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
If you are will to work at it a bit, you can use the command line to do this. See:

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_rename_hundreds_of_files_at_once.html

The above example provides a small Terminal script that does bulk file renaming, but not the sort that you want. You would need to experiment with the "tr" command which will happily do inline case translations for you, and then work it into the above script. I suspect that it would take an hour or so of fiddling to get it right unfortunately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
i use automator. but i dont know about it renaming different file names.

for example. all my files are named pic-XXXX(insert seq. #s)

if you had files
Picture1.jpg
and Photo1.jpg

im not sure in automator you could tell it not to rename photo to picture, while doing the lowercase. i know u can add numbers to then end, but since u want a case change at the same time, im not sure automator is up to it

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok, thanks to all of you for your answers.

I'm not sure if I am up to the terminal yet, but I'll check automator and A Better Finder.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Here is a screenshot of the options in A Better Finder Rename. You can see the option to Convert to Upper/Lower Case is there.

Reaction score
Yeah, A Better Finder Renamer worked like a charm!
VERY versatile!
Thanks!

OK...wait...it's not over yet! To all those who posted in this thread saying that you could do what federicog was asking - using Automator ... or at least AppleScript, well please read on ......

Start by opening your Applications folder, and then look inside your AppleScript folder. Now double-click on the AppleScript Utility icon, and in the resulting dialog, turn on the Show Script Menu in Menu Bar checkbox. Close the Utility dialog, and then go to the menu bar and click on the Script icon — a list of all sorts of cool automatic functions are now just a click away.

Now to part II:

Click on the applescript icon in the menu bar and scroll down the list to Finder Scripts. Look at the contextual menu that pops out .... in that list are some great options but the one I'm interested in is:

Change Case of Item Names

Now...return to the Desktop and find those files that have a combination of upper/lower case letters in their names and highlight them all.

Return to the AppleScripts icon, scroll down to Finder Scripts - slide into the contextual menu and scroll down to Change Case of Item Names ...

A little window will appear with Change case to:

There are 3 options available: Cancel, UPPER & lower. Make your choice and then the job is finished.

Mac handled the whole process - just like we all knew it could. But it really is that simple!

?

OP
F
Reaction score
The apple script thingie seems really cool, there are lots of things you can do with it. Thanks for the tip!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.