mail 2.1.1 can't connect to custom pop ssl port

Reaction score
Hi,

I am using Mac OS X 10.4.8 with Mail 2.1.1 (752.3).

I am trying to connect my mac to my email server which is using POP over SSL on a custom port (34542). My mac can't connect to it, whereas my other computers can. And I made sure the ports and IPs are all correctly set in Mail.

I used tcpdump to monitor the network, and the Mac successfully establishes the TCP 3 way handshake, then no packets go either way for 60 seconds. At that point, the MAC initiates the closing of the TCP connection.

I changed my server to the default SSL POP port (995), and changed it on my mac and it works. When I change it back to the custom port, it stops working (the same thing) (and yes I changed the port in Mail as well).

I am required to keep the server on this port, so I need to get the Mac to check mail on the custom port.

Is there a trick in Mac OS or Mail to get this to work? Or is this a bug (or limitation) of Mac or Mail?

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.