need general powerbook & mac help

C

crazeazn

Hey guys! after using PCs for about 10 years or so I finally switched back (my last apple was a LCIII). Anyways I have a few questions about OS X and my 12 inch powerbook and I'm sure you guys know the answer to.

1. I have an external 21 inch sony monitor plugged into the powerbook but for some reason i can't take my resolution any higher than 1024x768 (native lcd res), any time i run a higher res the actual display output shows up in a tiny box. what gives?
2. Is there anyway to have my lid shut and not have the powerbook go into sleep mode? A friend of mine mentioned using kismac but I believe it only supports 10.2... (kernel modification not preferred)

Thanks a bunch guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. What video output are you using to connect to your powerbook
2. go to versiontracker.com and search for sleepless.....It is not recommended to leave the comptuer running when the lid is closed because that is the main source of ventilation on powerbooks

OP
S

StarManta

1. Are you rtying to use Mirroring?
2. On Powerbooks the heat problem is not so bad, it's iBooks that will certainly overheat when the lid's closed.

OP
C

crazeazn

I'm using the mini dvi plug to vga - using mirroring, ( i do not wish to extend the desktop)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you mirror you can not use a resolution higher then what you are using on the laptop which in the 12" powerbooks case the max is 1024x768

OP
C

crazeazn

trpnmonkey41 said:
When you mirror you can not use a resolution higher then what you are using on the laptop which in the 12" powerbooks case the max is 1024x768

actually i just figured out something...

i shut my lid on my powerbook and let it sleep. however i pressed my external mouse/keyboard keys and the system came back on, i was able to switch the resolution to 1280 1204, i opened the powerbook lid but the display is not on, so looks like im in good shape!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats basically just turning on extended desktop which you can do with the screen on

OP
C

crazeazn

trpnmonkey41 said:
thats basically just turning on extended desktop which you can do with the screen on

you sure this is running extended desktop? i see my finder bar and all my other menus... i dont think this is extended desktop b/c the mouse doesnt move back over to the laptop....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well its not extended because you have your laptop screen turned off.....You can set the menus finder bar to be on your secondary monitor in extended desktops as well

OP
S

StarManta

Be careful running laptops with the lid closed due to heat issues - especially iBooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.