New Airport Extreme - am i being dense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
Just bought a new Airport Extreme unit from the Apple Store. I wanted it to replace my NetGear router as the wireless stopped working and I have to connect using an Ethernet cable.

I had in my head I could just replace the Netgear and use the Extreme to connect to the internet using my ADSL connection. I've read all the documentation and can't work out for the life of me how to set it up.

My connection is currently:
Main phone point into DSL filter which splits off into
1) Cordless Telephone
2) Netgear router

I want to be able to replace the Netgear router (which is what connects to the internet using my ADSL usercode/password) with the Extreme (conecting to the internet directly with that) so I can get rid of the Netgear router

Any help would be much appreciated as the Apple Support line has shut for the night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
1. Plug in the AC adaptor.
2. Wait until status light turns solid green.
3. Connect your DSL or cable modem to your AirPort Extreme Ethernet WAN port.
4. Open AirPort Utility (located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a
computer using Mac OS X, and in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using
Windows), select your base station, and then click Continue.
5. Follow the onscreen instructions to create a new network. Computers using AirPort and computers using other wireless cards or adapters connect to the Internet through AirPort Extreme. Computers connected to AirPort Extreme Ethernet ports can also access the network and connect to the Internet. Wireless computers and computers connected to the Ethernet ports can also
communicate with one another through AirPort Extreme.

What issue are you running into?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
if it says in your menu bar "looking for PPoE host" then your password is not being accepted.. What you will have to do is use the airport admin utility in utilities folder to put the password in when you select ppoe

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 1.8GHz 1GB RAM, 60GB iPod Video, 30GB iPod video on loan to the better half :-)
3. Connect your DSL or cable modem to your AirPort Extreme Ethernet WAN port.
What issue are you running into?

That's the issue I'm running into. My Netgear is both a Modem and a Router - I assumed the Extreme was too - but it's just a router. I wanted to get rid of the Netgear completely but I can't as the Extreme is incapable of connecting to a DSL connection.

Most routers sold in the UK are combination router/modem as cable isn;t so widespread here. Very surprised and disappointed that the Extreme doesn't do both. It's going back to the shop....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
I was surprised that the apple airport extreme router did not support an inbuilt adsl modem, its surprising that in the UK the majority of internet customers are ADSL. You can purchase and ethernet modem for around £40 off the apple website. You could always remove the aerial from your netgear or turn off all wireless etc and just use the LAN port to connect it to the back of the airport extreme.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
NONE of the good routers I have ever worked with have a built in DSL modem. None. There are few out there but I would not even consider one of them. I knew you had a Modem/Router right off the bat. I think you will find the better routers out there do not contain a built in modem. I picked up a Cheep SpeedStream modem at my local Swap Meet for $5. It works like a champ with any router out there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive
I have just bought and started to set up my Airport Extreme BaseStation. I am having problems getting access to my External HardDrive.

Is there any place on the Web that I can go and read up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook w/ 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 512MB memory & SuperDrive
I finally got an answer to my problem and would like to share it for anyone else who has this problem. At this point I'm a little embarrassed due to the ease of solving this problem but here is the answer:

Unplug the USB device from the ABS and then unplug the ABS from the network. Give about 30 seconds and replug the USB device back in to the ABS. Wait 30 more seconds and then reattach the ABS to the network. I did this and it solved my problem on my PC all I had to do was type in the password and everything was a go. I put the install disc that came with the ABS into my MacBook and installed. After install it rebooted and asked for my password. I typed and sure enough there it was. Hope this can help someone else that has the same problem I did.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As an update - I returned the Extreme to the Apple Store yesterday. Turns out there's been a number of people who thought the same as me and have been returning them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBpro: 2.33, 2gb ram, 160hd
extreme base station won't "play" with a verizon actiontec router. it also doesn't have audio out to play itunes through a nearby stereo. Mine got returned and I bought a standard airport express to get the itunes going- but no NAS support....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.