macbook fell down - chip burned- identification

Reaction score
Some weeks ago my macbook fell on the floor (height of fall was about 40 cm, the macbook was in a sleeve, on the upper left corner is a mild deformation observable)..
immediately after the fall the macbook was working without problems
but two days later the lcd screen remained black;
the apple service provider had no idea but told me it would be a total loss anyway...
I asked a friend to unscrew the macbook and he discovered a chip on the mainborad that was burned. Unfortunately we don´t know what component that is (the serial number isn´t readable anymore)
So if anyone has an idea what chip that maybe I would be very thankful.

als3pyfc16oxcak5g.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Sorry to say it, but I think you'll have to get a whole new main board. It looks like many of the parts around the chip are toasted as well. There may be small wires that are sandwiched in the circuit board that are melted. Even if you could replace that chip, you would have to be very good with a soldering iron, and even then it would be a challenge. If I was in your position, I would be looking for a new motherboard instead of looking for a new chip.

Sorry about your loss though. I know how it feels. Mine died the other day, and I was thoroughly enraged.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Definitely look for a replacement mainboard- you will have a tough time redrawing all the electrical traces.

OP
P
Reaction score
thanks for your answers...
yet another reason why I would be interested what component the burned chip exactly is, is because although it´s very likely, I´m not 100% shure if the fall really caused the damage...mainly because the macbook worked still fine after the fall...so hypothetically the burned chip may also be some production defect (?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Too bad you took it apart. There goes anything that Apple might have been able to do for the burnt part under your warranty. I don't know if Apple would have fixed the burntness for you, but your warranty is totally voided now.

OP
P
Reaction score
well the problem is, that the guys at apple service store obviously fooled me, so I had no other choice...they took 128 € (about 140 Dollars) for the express checkup...two days later they first told me that the display was defect (and that a repair would cost about 1000$!)...then I connected the macbook to an external monitor that remained black too (so it was obvuiously not the display itself that was defect)..
than they suddendly told me that there was also some deformation in the mainboard...actually there was nothing like a deformation, only the burned chip..
obviously the havn´t checked the Macbook at all
(they´ll soon get some letter from me demanding my money back, fortunately my brother is lawyer ;)..

I really loved my Macbook but Apple service totally sucks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz
I think I am a little lost on how you feel you got fooled! You dropped your machine and took it to an Apple store and they told you that you had a defective display? You believe that the display is just fine and the issue is related to the burnt chip?

Am i straight on the story?

I think the real kicker here is... do you have a photo of the casing/machine post accident? I assume Apple is not covering this under warranty because they were told it was dropped or there is obvious abuse and damage (... more than just a little nick or scratch)?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok. You go buy a Toyota and take it out of the car dealer's parking lot, you drive around town, hit the highway to head out of town. You skid and hit a tree in a turn.

You take the Toyota back to the dealer and expect them to change your car because there was damage done to it? Then because they wouldn't change free of charge your car, Toyota sucks?

Am I following you on this? :eek:

OP
P
Reaction score
no you get me wrong...
I don´t expect apple to repair my macbook for a damage that I have caused, but what I do expect is if I pay 140 Dollars for a checkup that they really unscrew the macbook and see what´s wrong and not only pretend to do..I think in English the term for such conduct is called "fraud" (by the way the cost estimate for repair more than 1800$!)

and I don´t deny that the fall probaly has caused the damage, I´m just not hundred percent shure because immediately after the fall macbook was working fine and two days later the display got black...that´s why I´m interested what component the burned chip really is..

there is a picture of my book...you can see the deformation on the upper left corner:
alw8163aeiag2lvgk.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

What's to say the fall didn't short a circuit on the logic board? The damage could have slowly happened, not been immediate at all.

And there is a size limit to pictures we post in posts: 800 x 600 pixels.

Anyway I'm outta here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.