How do I change a folder icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
When making a new folder how do i change the icon from the boring standered blue folder? I've found that by selecting folder view options i can drag the icon picture but how do i change to a different one. Also is there an icon gallery somewhere in osx like windows if sowhere is it.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Try Candybar2... http://www.panic.com/candybar/

As you can see in the picture you can change the icon for all the system folders, drives, etc...

If you want to change JUST specific folders (not EVERY folder)... the paste way is to copy the icon you want... right click the folder... get info... click to highlight the "Folder" image in in Get info window, then Paste (Apple+V) the new icon in....

388272938_f3cfbbe8bb_o.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
I'm not sure on the gallery in OS X but there are loads of really great icons on the web.

Anyway to change an icon; download some icons and choose the one that you'd like in place of the boring blue folder.

Now right click on the NEW icon and choose Get Info. This window has varios pieces of info including the icon image at the bottom - the part you actually want is the small icon in the top left hand corner of this window.

A single click on this small icon in the top left should high-light it (this may be hard to see) click on edit and choose copy

Now go to the boring folder and right click on that icon - again choose Get Info and again look for the small icon in the top left corner of this window. A single click will select/high light the icon (again this may be difficult to see) - click edit and then choose paste

Thats it - job done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
OP
ferritt
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP - 24" white iMac - 16gb white iphone3G - 20gb iPod colour
Thanks for the replys people been a great help. And that web site is top, some really good icons on there.

cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.