Parallels noob question

Reaction score
Hey guys..great forum. I am looking to buy a MB (not pro) next week and I think I would be using parallels for some windows programs. I had a couple of questions about parallels.
(1) i know parallels make a virtual windows pc on mac by alloting some RAM and processor to windows. But if you close parallels, is that RAM and processer returned to mac, or does that still stay blocked.
(2) Secondly, how about the files and folders. Is there seperate files/folders for mac and windows, or do they share the same files. I wanted to know this because if u download something using torrents in windows, can u still use those movies/music on mac platform.
Sorry if these questions are repeats.

THanks in advance.

Reaction score
(1) Once Parallels closes, it doesn't use any processor power. The memory that was used registers as "inactive" but it is still available for any new processes.

(2) You create a shared folder (it looks like a network folder) and both OS X and Parallels can access them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
(2) You create a shared folder (it looks like a network folder) and both OS X and Parallels can access them.

...and to add to that, the new version coming in the next few months allows drag and drop between the Mac desktop and the Windows desktop. It's very slick.

Any registered user can download and use the beta Release Candidate 2, which is quite stable, directly from Parallels' website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.