Remote with Refurbs?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
:) yeah - you can never tell can you - I know these things seem kind of expensive - yes I know people say similar specs = similar price - but when you see your mates with Vista running laptops that might cost up to half of what these macbooks cost - it stings little.

I love my MacBook and if I have the money to spare then I'll get the extra cover just to be 'safe'.

I really wish I could just buy 1 extra years worth as I rarely keep a laptop for longer than 2 years.

So you'll have to keep us informed when the MacBook arrives - maybe post some pics in the Official Setup Thread.

I don't know what Macs cost in the UK, but here in the US, something that costs literally half the price of a MacBook (let's say $700) generally means little to no warranty (usually 90 days), no software (Macs come well-equipped in my opinion), awful display, negligible build quality, little memory and not enough graphics power to actually run Aero which is one of the few features that Vista has to offer over XP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
Fair points on the price - I just keep coming across people that have got a nice new laptop, couple have Vista and they read off a load of spec and it sounds OK yet it cost maybe £500 - ok I paid £750 so not double that - but it sounds fairly similar in specs yet cost £250 less.

Don't get me wrong I chose the MacBook because I wanted OS X and I love the MacBooks - I did not buy it because I had more money than sense - I bought it because I felt it was a good system for the price. Unfortunately my Wintel friends (actually most have AMDs - is there a term for AMD Windows users?) usually have the opinion that I've been robbed...

At the end of the day I can sleep easy - I know I bought this because it suited me and I love it.

And yes the included Software is pretty good - I really like some of it.

For me the only annoyance is that I have a few good PC software suites that I've already shelled out on - and now I need to shell out again - still I chose this route - no one forced it upon me :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Fair points on the price - I just keep coming across people that have got a nice new laptop, couple have Vista and they read off a load of spec and it sounds OK yet it cost maybe £500 - ok I paid £750 so not double that - but it sounds fairly similar in specs yet cost £250 less.

Don't get me wrong I chose the MacBook because I wanted OS X and I love the MacBooks - I did not buy it because I had more money than sense - I bought it because I felt it was a good system for the price. Unfortunately my Wintel friends (actually most have AMDs - is there a term for AMD Windows users?) usually have the opinion that I've been robbed...

At the end of the day I can sleep easy - I know I bought this because it suited me and I love it.

And yes the included Software is pretty good - I really like some of it.

For me the only annoyance is that I have a few good PC software suites that I've already shelled out on - and now I need to shell out again - still I chose this route - no one forced it upon me :)

Well, don't forget that you can always install Windows to run your Windows-centric software.

...and good point on the AMD processors. In some ways, I wish Apple would have gone that route. My recommendation to Apple would be to introduce a new series of Macs with AMD processors and let the consumer have just a wee bit more choice. My understanding is that EFI was an Intel initiative though and I'm not sure how soon AMD will jump on that bandwagon seeing as how they don't always play nice with Intel specs (BTX being a good example).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Well in fact, the fact that I already have a black Video Ipod was a crucial factor in my decision! And hey, its not sad! Its nice to have a matching color ipod-macbook set. Apple would want it no other way :D.

I used to build my own computers (since I do computer stuff for a living) and one of the reasons I got a Mac was that, in addition to being an experiment in seeing if Mac OS could fulfill all of my personal computing needs (an experiment that was wildly successful) I got tired of tinkering and building, and supporting my own stuff. I used to build computers out of whatever I could scrounge, and to heck with how it looked. As long as it functioned. After 20+ years in the business, however, it was time for a change.

So now I have a white Macbook that has all matching white accessories (including the iPod.) You know why? I figured what the heck, I have the means now and I see so much ire on the 'net about how Mac users have to have everything matching, screw it! Everything now matches, right down to the aftermarket white Sennheiser headphones (highly recommended). If I'm going to be berated over my (correct) choice of computing platform then I'm going to at least be pleased to look at the thing!

When I'm on my Macbook typing on my Apple bluetooth keyboard and Mighty mouse, I'm doing stuff for me. When I turn to the left to the Dell with its logitech wireless keyboard/mouse, hand-me-down 20" CRT, Windows XP, iPaq PDA, and the other hodgepodge mish-mash of peripherals I'm WORKING. Keeps it separate, and psychologically that's a good thing.

BTW, my new boss came by the office today and I'm pretty sure I ended up selling him a Macbook after I gave him a demo of what it could do.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
When I'm on my Macbook typing on my Apple bluetooth keyboard and Mighty mouse, I'm doing stuff for me. When I turn to the left to the Dell with its logitech wireless keyboard/mouse, hand-me-down 20" CRT, Windows XP, iPaq PDA, and the other hodgepodge mish-mash of peripherals I'm WORKING. Keeps it separate, and psychologically that's a good thing.

I'm hoping to do exactly that. One thing I found when I was trialing my gf's mac, was that even though I was doing things I could do on a PC; like browsing or listening to music, it was just so much more ENJOYABLE and FUN using the Macbook instead.

Well anyway, I've waited all morning and it hasn't arrived. I'm so disappointed. I spoke to a gentlemen on the phone yesterday who said that there's a 'good chance' of it arriving today. :( I can't concentrate on doing anything else. I'm too excited about it arriving! Fingers crossed that it might miraculously turn up sometime today...

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Its HERE! Its here! Its HERE!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.