Cracked case

Reaction score
My MacBook has recently gone through a minor disaster, and now has a crack on the casing. It is on the inner-top casing, just to the left of the trackpad and is about 6cm long and 5mm from the edge of the case. Whilst it doesn't affect the operation of the machine in any way, it looks terrible and is in danger of catching on my sleeve and being pulled off completely.

I could possibly glue it down myself, but I'm not sure what is below that area and would hate to damage it.

Given the discolouration problems that early MacBooks had, I'm sure that the replacement of this casing is fairly straightforward. My question is, where would I get this done, and how much should I expect it to cost? I'm based in the Glasgow, Scotland, so there are no Apple Stores nearby to drop in to, but there are a few Apple resellers who may be able to replace it. Is it user-replaceable? Where would I order up a replacement case?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
I wouldn't think it's considered "User replaceable" but should be a simple fix. Just call one of the local resellers and ask if they can get the parts delivered and give you a quote.

Definitely do not just glue it down yourself. Considering the value of the Macbook I'd say it's worth investing in getting it fixed correctly. How did it happen by the way?

OP
F
Reaction score
to be honest, I don't know how it happened. the MacBook is pretty much desk based, and has never been submitted to any knocks or bangs (not that they would affect it as the crack is on the inside top, so it's not as if it's a product of it being dropped on its corner etc)

the only thing I can think is that it is a stress crack as it is pretty much where my left hand sits on top of the rest while typing. I only noticed it yesterday, so I don't know when it happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93C2D 4GB
You must have some heavy hands! I'd be pretty upset if I had that and didn't know where it came from. If possible can you post back here when you find out how much it's going to be to fix?

(If, by any chance you where born with an extreemely large left hand then I am sincerely sorry for any offense I may have caused...)

OP
F
Reaction score
hehe. regular sized hands (in fact, I'd say on the small side if anything!)

the case has always made a creak from that area, so I can only guess that it's been a badly fitted case and the stress has just caused it to fracture.

will post on here once I locate someone who can replace it and get a quote from them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!
does anyone know how much the casing is for a macbook?

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
hehe. regular sized hands (in fact, I'd say on the small side if anything!)

the case has always made a creak from that area, so I can only guess that it's been a badly fitted case and the stress has just caused it to fracture.

will post on here once I locate someone who can replace it and get a quote from them!

http://www.scotsys.co.uk/

or

http://www.s3interactive.co.uk/

They are close to you and both authorised service providers.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive
My MacBook has recently gone through a minor disaster, and now has a crack on the casing. It is on the inner-top casing, just to the left of the trackpad and is about 6cm long and 5mm from the edge of the case. Whilst it doesn't affect the operation of the machine in any way, it looks terrible and is in danger of catching on my sleeve and being pulled off completely.

I could possibly glue it down myself, but I'm not sure what is below that area and would hate to damage it.

Given the discolouration problems that early MacBooks had, I'm sure that the replacement of this casing is fairly straightforward. My question is, where would I get this done, and how much should I expect it to cost? I'm based in the Glasgow, Scotland, so there are no Apple Stores nearby to drop in to, but there are a few Apple resellers who may be able to replace it. Is it user-replaceable? Where would I order up a replacement case?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a crack also, but mine is on the top left of my 'book , and it has never had any bumps.

It seems to get bigger every day!!!

Reaction score
is it possible that the cracks could be some kind of "stress fracture" caused by the "separators" to the left and right of the isight? im having a similar problem as the TC on the left of the trackpad, and the right looks like it may crack as well. (the separators line up perfectly with the crack)

OP
F
Reaction score
not wanting to be without my MacBook whilst I was away, I covered it with a sticker to ensure that the loose piece didn't get caught and break off.

having run with it for a few weeks I was getting to the point where I didn't mind the crack as it was totally unnoticeable. however, I've now noticed that the exact same crack has appeared on the right hand side!

my MacBook has not been under any duress. and is mainly used as a desktop machine, so it's not damage in any way. it appears much more to be an issue with the two bevels above the screen to keep spacing between the screen and the keyboard. I think these are applying too much pressure to the palm rests.

I don't have the luxury of an Apple Store here in Glasgow (yet!) so can anyone tell me what the procedure / likelihood of Apple replacing this part is? My local dealer (scotsys) said that it wouldn't be covered by the warranty and would cost a minimum of £75 to get the casing replaced :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83
Have you tried to call Apple support? Perhaps this is a known problem (perhaps with that batch) that they may fix for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My MacBook is at the Apple Store right now getting fixed because of this issue. I had two cracks on the inside of the case - one on the right (right where my hand would rest to type) and one on the left outside edge. When I called Apple support they said this is a "known issue" and they are replacing it for me. I am still within my warranty period so.....

Reaction score
i too have a crack on my macbook. its on the right bottom corner like where my hand rest's on it. its small but its really annoying me.. and it looks like its going to get bigger or somthing... what should i do

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.