Sleeping iMac - Necessary?

L

Lutonian

I notice when I move the display sleep setting to "Never" it says that never letting it sleep may shorten its life. Is this also true with letting the computer sleep? I dont like to make the computer sleep because it causes LimeWire to disconnect and AIM to sign off. Is it important to let it sleep? How about putting the hard disks to sleep?

OP
C

Chamorro

Lutonian said:
I notice when I move the display sleep setting to "Never" it says that never letting it sleep may shorten its life. Is this also true with letting the computer sleep? I dont like to make the computer sleep because it causes LimeWire to disconnect and AIM to sign off. Is it important to let it sleep? How about putting the hard disks to sleep?

Not letting the display sleep could make images "burn" onto the screen, if it's a CRT. The only other issue I can think of with not letting the HD/computer/monitor sleep is heat generation. If they're not sleeping, they're generating heat, and heat is not good.

OP
D

danielos

If this is a LCD iMac, you might want sleep.
LCD backlights have a set life, which it a certain amount of hours before the backlight goes out.
For example: my monitor's backlight lasts for 50,000 hours and in a year i have used it for 3200 hours. So to lengthen the life, I have it set to go off after two minutes of inactivity.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.