Help me decide betwix 8GB Nano & 80gb iPod...

Reaction score
I really would like the Product Red 8GB Nano but I have two Best Buy gift certificates and don't think you can purchase the Red except at Apple.

Don't really need the 80gb - although I could fill it up nicely to about 55GB with Movies, Audiobooks and music. I mainly want to listen to Audiobooks at work and music other times. May occassionally watch parts of a movie but was disappointed with the 30GB because of limited battery life. Wonder if the 80 will rally stretch out to 6.5 hours?

Please lend your opine. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I really would like the Product Red 8GB Nano but I have two Best Buy gift certificates and don't think you can purchase the Red except at Apple.

Don't really need the 80gb - although I could fill it up nicely to about 55GB with Movies, Audiobooks and music. I mainly want to listen to Audiobooks at work and music other times. May occassionally watch parts of a movie but was disappointed with the 30GB because of limited battery life. Wonder if the 80 will rally stretch out to 6.5 hours?

Please lend your opine. Thanks.

both are the same price..

My opinion,

8gb nano PROS:

size
flash memory
colors
longer battery life

CONS:
less memory
size
no videos/movies without hacks.

80gb PROS:
movies/videos
size

CONS:
size
no flash memory ( uses a HDD)
no colors (black and white only)
battery life is half of the nano

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the 80G iPod is $100 more than the 8G Nano, isn't it?

edit:

Yes, just checked Apple.com and the red Nano is $249 while the 80G iPod is $349.

Really, they're two totally different machines with totally different purposes. Do you want to watch TV & movies on your iPod? If so, the 80G HDD version is the only choice for you. Do you want something that you can bang around, use while running/biking/etc., and that's small enough to fit in a pocket without being noticed? Then you want the Nano.

My wife has the 80G iPod and I use a 1G Shuffle. Each has its pros and cons, just like kodorsean pointed out above. But then I rarely travel without my MBP, which means if I want to watch a movie, I just watch it on the 15" widescreen rather than the little iPod.

So the choice really depends completely on what you want to do with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure the 80G iPod is $100 more than the 8G Nano, isn't it?

edit:

Yes, just checked Apple.com and the red Nano is $249 while the 80G iPod is $349.

Really, they're two totally different machines with totally different purposes. Do you want to watch TV & movies on your iPod? If so, the 80G HDD version is the only choice for you. Do you want something that you can bang around, use while running/biking/etc., and that's small enough to fit in a pocket without being noticed? Then you want the Nano.

My wife has the 80G iPod and I use a 1G Shuffle. Each has its pros and cons, just like kodorsean pointed out above. But then I rarely travel without my MBP, which means if I want to watch a movie, I just watch it on the 15" widescreen rather than the little iPod.

So the choice really depends completely on what you want to do with it.

you are correct about the prices.. for whatever reason I was thinking of the 30gb video and the 8gb nano rather than the 80gig video.. the 30gb video is $249 also. my mistake.

T

todd51

What's the advantage of flash memory over HDD? I remember seeing one of you list it as a Pro and as a Con for the regular iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's the advantage of flash memory over HDD? I remember seeing one of you list it as a Pro and as a Con for the regular iPod.

flash memory is a chip rather than a HDD.. nothing is spining in the ipod.. less chances of something breaking or not working. active people like joggers or runners prefer flash memory because there are less chances of their ipod breaking or not working when their ipod is apart of a lot of movement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod 8GB Nano
It sounds like you really are in line for the 8GB Nano.

Battery life and primarily music usage are the primary functions of the new Nanos. The size is a bonus. You shouldn't even be considering a Video iPod, given your requirements.

I just went through the SAME thing. I wanted it primarily for music, and the physical size was a secondary concern. I ended up with the 8GB Nano, and couldn't be happier. I also got an OtterBox case. Heavy-duty, waterproof, and indestructible, and it still fits in my pocket. I couldn't be happier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.