wget and GCC for MAC OS X?

HSN

Reaction score
I need wget and gcc to be installed on my iMAC running MAC OS X. Does linux distributions work for mac? Otherwise, how can I find these softwares for iMAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
wget is such a useful tool. Anyway - try HERE this page has a link to a zip file containing an OS X ready wget.

Tools will give you GCC. (it's pretty big though and might include a lot of stuff you don't want)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
DarwinPorts.

http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/

It's not perfect, but it does okay. wget worked fine from there when I first tried it. Ports (package versions) of gcc are at the DarwinPorts site too, though I've not tried that. There are over 3000 ports available, so you have some interesting options on your Mac.

There's also Fink.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

I've not tried it, but it also seems well regarded. Both gcc and wget are available.

You generally cannot get Linux packages to run on OS X. Given the creativity and resoursefullness of some, I won't say it's impossible, but you're not going to do it easily.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
wget is such a useful tool. Anyway - try HERE this page has a link to a zip file containing an OS X ready wget.
I believe this is the same one I downloaded some time ago myself. It works very well. You may have to set your HTTP_PROXY environment variable if you're behind a firewall...

Tools will give you GCC. (it's pretty big though and might include a lot of stuff you don't want)
This is also available on your OSX disc, but the link above will give you the newest version. You probably don't need to worry about the large download if it's just gcc you're looking for, as the updates are primarily with XCode and the Cocoa Foundation stuff. I've got the latest developer tools install, and this is what I get:

macbook:~ djames$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: i686-apple-darwin8
Configured with: /private/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5341.obj~1/src/configure --disable-checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --with-arch=pentium-m --with-tune=prescott --program-prefix= --host=i686-apple-darwin8 --target=i686-apple-darwin8
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5341)
macbook:~ djames$

You generally cannot get Linux packages to run on OS X. Given the creativity and resoursefullness of some, I won't say it's impossible, but you're not going to do it easily.

No, but quite often people are good enough to put MACOS entries in the Makefile, so you can download sources and easily compile them yourself. Though I'm not sure why I even mentioned this since getting the gcc source is pretty useless without a copy of gcc to compile it :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
:) good post djames42 - I like the end point - it reminded me of a horrible circle I got in during my early Linux days - went something like this:

Try to make application
Cant - need compiler
Get compiler - cant 'install' compiler because I need a compiler to make the compiler.... :O

This was an early Linux event for me so I certainly don't say that I was doing everything correctly - but it was not a nice place to be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.