Mass number of different problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
Please help me!
Or - should I just take this list to my local warrenty guy and have him fix it?

Problem #1:

Almost all programs crash during use at some point. Sometimes not at all - but usually a good crash or lockup during every 1hr of use is typical.

Problem #2:

Random Characters pop up in all programs during use - when mainly using the keyboard, often the symbol " | " comes up in line with my text I'm typing.
Or - in graphics programs that are heavy on the mouse: 'mouse trails' tend to 'stick' or linger where I've been - or, in some cases - the entire object I'm trying to manipulate leaves a trail.
(I am using a wireless set by Kinsington. However, due to obnoxioius and amazing battery drainage in the mouse - I started using a simple travel-mouse plugged into a usb hub.
However - these tracking and such problems staretd happening before I started using the trackmouse - and sometime after I bought the k/m set.)

Problem #3:
I have downloaded a number of programs to aid in my website designing...each of these have a particular problem that renders them annoying in their own way.
*Gimp: text box does not function properly - and text is the main reason why I want to use i.
*Image Tricks (paid for) muddles all files related to the current pieces I'm working on (all file variations) when I use the 'Shaded Materials function' - if I click 'apply'
*Seashore - text lags and locks up, disapears, etc etc...this was suppose to be my alternative to the 'gimp' text issue.
*Sketup - by Google - the mouse or image I'm manipulating 'trails' a was mentioned in problem #2.
And some other programs (some paid for, some free) have similar problems.

Problem #4:
Finder window has unusable, undeletable files. (How do I get rid of them?)
Some time ago I was rearranging files - and for easy access I place a few of those main files into the sidebar. I addicentally deleted those files in their actual location - leaving the side-bar file 'stuck'

If anyone can help me out with any of these I'd really appreciate it :)

Reaction score
G'day Silverfroth,

WOW ... !! Are you having some issues ... first off, I would think that creating a new user account and testing whether these bugs still persist in a new account, is the first step here.

In the meantime I would remove these two plist files:

YourUserAccount>Library>Preferences>com.apple.finder.plist
YourUserAccount>Library>Preferences>com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Most of these issues might be resolved in one step ... that's my hope anyway... there could be a link between them and it may be a simple fix or a trip to the AppleStore ... but let's see ....

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
So simple! I thought it wouldn't work, but, yes indeed - opening a different user account seems to have taken care of most of these problems - the program functioning ones, dont' know yet about the crashing issue.

However - in the original account, even after removing those files, those stuck folders are still there.
HMMM.

Well - I think I'll just transfer everyhting over to the other account and delete the one that's plagued.

Thank you so much :)

Reaction score
Silverfroth, do you use a maintenance program like OnyX or MacJanitor? It is worth downloading such an app to use to keep your Mac in tip-top shape.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
I have Onyx on my computer - I don't use it, though, suppose I should. Afterall, I downloaded it at one point after reading about it and thought it would be a good idea.

The addiction of downloading programs - it's so quick and simple as opposed to Win.

Reaction score
I use OnyX only to clean caches and repair permissions and optiomise the system etc. I don't go where I feel I'm out of my depth. I only use the Cleaning & Maintenance sections and leave the rest well alone.

OnyX has a feature which rebuilds the Finder SideBar, I would see if this frees up those stubborn stuck items in your SideBar.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac
I tried applejack - but I think the download source is glitched, I keep having the same problems while installing.

I'm using Onyx - ran it through afew things, it fixed the sidebar by simply resetting it (duh) and my system's running a bit smother, too - so that's good.

I really think it's taken care of most of my problems - so far I haven't had any crashes, and I've been working on my website for a few hours - normally I would have had to restart it a few times by now.
So hopefully that did it :)

Thanks, and this kind of easy-to-handle troubleshooting and support system is one the reasons why I switched.
Try finding a forum with knowledgable people dedicated to windows with valuable advice. LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.