iMac and Bellsouth DSL..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", 1GB RAM, 160GB HD/ 13" MacBook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD/4th Gen iPod Nano 8 GB
My first post here, and have a question..

First, I really want to make the switch to a Mac. How soon I do really depends on the compatibility. Right now I have the Bellsouth DSL with the Westell Model 327W. I'll need to keep that on this machine for now. I have the home networking, so if I get a Mac soon it will have to be connected to the USB adapter, specifically this...
bband_access2.jpg

Will this work?

Thanks. Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, I'm a n00b when it comes to Macs. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I have Bellsouth as well. You're getting ripped off with the "Home Networking" bundle- just go buy a wireless router and connect your main PC via wired or wireless and your coming iMac to it via wireless. Essentially, you are renting the equipment now, which in the long run will cost a bundle.

As for that adaptor, I'm not sure if it'll work- I doubt it. To me, networking via USB isn't the way to go- it seems to be more flaky than via Ethernet or even wireless.

Reaction score
Ditto Karudzo -- I've never quite figured out what you get by paying Bellsouth (now AT&T) for that "home networking" fee.

Isn't the Westell 327W a wireless modem? You shouldn't need anything else -- the current Macs all have built in wireless (Airport) so they should "see" your Westell immediately. You don't need or want to use a wireless adapter with an iMac.

You can connect one computer via ethernet to your modem and the other one wirelessly (or both wirelessly if you want).

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", 1GB RAM, 160GB HD/ 13" MacBook, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD/4th Gen iPod Nano 8 GB
I have Bellsouth as well. You're getting ripped off with the "Home Networking" bundle- just go buy a wireless router and connect your main PC via wired or wireless and your coming iMac to it via wireless. Essentially, you are renting the equipment now, which in the long run will cost a bundle.

As for that adaptor, I'm not sure if it'll work- I doubt it. To me, networking via USB isn't the way to go- it seems to be more flaky than via Ethernet or even wireless.

I read somewhere else (after I posted this) that most Macs come with a built in wireless card. Is this true? If that's the case, I wouldn't even need to worry about buying another router, correct?

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You shouldn't need anything else -- the current Macs all have built in wireless (Airport) so they should "see" your Westell immediately. You don't need or want to use a wireless adapter with an iMac.

That's what I wanted to hear. You posted this at the same time I asked... :D

I guess this pretty much seals the deal... Thank both of you for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.