Will The MacPro (Desktop) with Xeon Intel Run Windows?

OP
Y
Reaction score
That doesn't even make sense. You state that you knew that you could run Windows on Intel processors. Then you state that you didn't know whether Xeon processors were Intel or PPC. How could you not know when not only does Apple's website clearly state that Xeon processors are made by Intel, but in this thread's title, you acknowledge that Intel makes Xeon processors.

I'm just having trouble with the fact that you're asking a question to which you have shown to already know the answer. I guess that's why Todd just had a one word answer and why MHC responded the way she did.

So you shouldn't really take any of the responses as a putdown since in essence you didn't even really ask a question.....:confused:

Look, I wasnt sure. I've never heard of a "Xeon". Im a regular Windows user and I use AMD CPUs. It's been years since I've kept up on which Intel processors do what. I didn't know if Xeon was some special type of processor that wouldn't do the dual-boot thing or something. I just wanted to make *doubly* sure 'cause I'm very nervous about putting down $3000 for a computer. This is the most money ever spent on a computer which is why I'm being overly cautious. That's all I intended. I didn't mean to offend anyone. And quite frankly, I have seen various put-downs by Mac users to Windows users because it seems to me the Mac users are a very tight-nit group and are sometimes overly-zealously aggressive in their belief that Windows users are just evil. So that's what I thought she was doing.

Anyways, lets just put this to bed. I've apolized to both Todd and MHC. I regret having inadvertantly made this a negative thread, that certainly was not my intention.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Ohh, ok. I get it now. I understand what your concern was, and I'll also admit that it is a valid one that I'm sure many others share.

Well, having gotten past a bumpy beginning, I welcome you to the Mac community and hope that you have a great experience with your upcoming Mac. You'll fall in love with it :black:

Reaction score
BTW, just so you know, the Mac Pro with Xeon processor can't run Windows.

:ninja:

Kidding!

OP
Y
Reaction score
Ohh, ok. I get it now. I understand what your concern was, and I'll also admit that it is a valid one that I'm sure many others share.

Well, having gotten past a bumpy beginning, I welcome you to the Mac community and hope that you have a great experience with your upcoming Mac. You'll fall in love with it :black:

Thank you. Yes shortly I will officially join the Apple cult and perhaps with a little more indoctination (ie experience) I will use Garage Band to create a masterpiece "you'll fall in love with it" song with the apple choir. Got a buck for Itunes anyone?:D

Reaction score
yada, in the spirit of bringing you into our fold and putting this behind us ...

If you get a song recorded and published by a major label, I promise I'll spend a buck to download it on iTunes. :)

OP
Y
Reaction score
yada, in the spirit of bringing you into our fold and putting this behind us ...

If you get a song recorded and published by a major label, I promise I'll spend a buck to download it on iTunes. :)

...hey many a good artist never made it to a major label. Maybe I'll be so wildly popular (ie delusional) I'll make my own label...a ink-jet printable one that is. LOL

*BTW: I won't live that long if you don't stop trying to give me heart-attacks. Almost missed the "just kidding" part. All Hail Mac Xeons.

M

MacHeadCase

MacHeadCase,

I apologize.

I didn't feel that you were giving me a sincere reply, but rather I really thought you were treating me like an idiot. This is the problem with email and typed stuff like this, you don't get a feel for the person your dealing with. I surely didnt mean to start any nasty thing here. I'm a respectful person in general, I was just feeling defensive. So sorry, I hope we can get off on a better foot, as I hope to hang out here more so I can learn the Mac world.

Apologies accepted. I never treat anyone as an idiot. If I don't feel at ease with answering, for any number of reasons, I simply don't post. English is not my primary language but I do try my best to post in a clear way. Maybe that is where the misunderstanding came from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The issues with dual booting and the use of BootCamp have nothing to do with Xeon, or any Intel processor (it's just a chip, the same as Dell and everyone else use). The real issue, and hence the requirement for BootCamp, is the fact that the Apple motherboards don't have a BIOS, which both XP and Vista (IIRC) require to load.

Apple instead opted to go with Intel new Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) model, which does not have a BIOS per-se (at least not one that Windows will see). Supposedly some versions of Vista will work natively with the EFI, but I have not heard or seen any concrete proof of this yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP| 2.33 15" |2 Gig|320 GiG 7200 rpm |256 MB X1600
Geez , seems some people could benefit from some relaxation or even better possibly meditation.
I've but a short comment to add ,and that is this is after all the switchers forum and those who frequent here are probably either those who know or those who don't. It truly is appreciated by those of us who don't know when we are treated by those of you who do know a lot about Macs grant or forward us some patience . We after all truly are just learning and dont know much other than what we have read somewhere , where in turn you have hands on experienced , or researched for a much longer period of time.

Thanks to all of those who have patience for us that are just leaning OSX and Macs. Its truly appreciated. I would be glad to share my knowledge of Intel or AMD hardware should it be asked of but when it comes to Macs, I am just learning . Also know XP quite well for those of you who are dual booting now as it's possible and have not run windoze prior .I know hardware and offer my experience to those in need .
Thanks
Wrath

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Just because Todd does not own a Mac Pro does not mean he does not know the Mac well. ANY intel Mac will run Boot-camp, Parallels and run Windows. There are no exceptions. Apple does not always make a big deal about it as they really want people to use OSX.

I have a very close friend with a Mac Pro 2.66Ghz with 8GB RAM, probably 2TB of SATA drives, a LARGE music collection and he runs XP Pro SP2 under Parallels and Boot-camp.

Anand of Anandtech also did a great article on the Mac Pro including running Bootcamp, Parallels and even modding the 2.0Ghz model with the 3.0Ghz Xenon CPUs and later new Quad Cores. Excellent read!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD
Even though the apologies have been exchanged I still have to say this... "Can't we all just get along?" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
NO!
149.gif

boxing.gif

nutkick0.gif

;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.