Question about dual processor over single processor

C

CaptainStandish

I'm looking into getting a g5 mac soon. If the new models aren't released within the end of the month or beginning of april (which many speculate that they are) then I'll be getting a 1.8 g5. I'm just wondering if I should go for the dual processor or single. The most extensive thing i'm going to be using the computer for is video editing and playing some games (world of warcraft when released, halo, etc...) I realize that dual processors help out video editing, but how much of an impact do they have on gaming? thanks for your time!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If the application you are running is not coded to run a dual processor, you will not see much of an improvement. I believe Final Cut Pro is written to take advantage of multiple processors.

OP
C

Chamorro

CaptainStandish said:
how much of an impact do they have on gaming? thanks for your time!

Again, it depends on the game. Some games take advantage of duals, but a lot don't.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
futerfas said:
wait, they're releacing a new G5??? I just bought one!!

When is Apple releasing a new G5 and when did you buy yours?

OP
W

WilliS

by the time your computer gets home, its already old techonolgy :p

but i doubt they will have a 3ghz out by summer.... i would probably think by next summer they will have the dual 3.0 out...maybe by winter...

they are probably in the process of making a case that can keep the g5 cool in a laptop form, and maybe get that out by summer....

they rarely do 2 or more big big annoucements at a time :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
They are updating the G5 models to this on March 23...
G5 DP 1.8
G5 DP 2.2
G5 DP 2.4

The DP 1.8 is supposedly going to be priced around what the Single 1.6 is right now.....so if you could you should wait for the updates.

OP
S

SogniX

Get a Dual!!!

The "most apps dont take advantage of dual processors" is hogwash!!!

My DUAL 533 MHz G4 tower is beatting the crud out of my 1Ghz G4 PowerBook!!! :eek:

I can't play UT2K4 on my PowerBook - choppy as ****! But it runs smooooooooth on the Dual 533 G4 Tower.

Not to mention my Tower beats my PB at everything I can throw at it!

Just a little disapointed in the PowerBook... but the main reason I got it was for portability... Good thing sellling the tower was never in my thoughts. heh :)

DUALS RULE! They kick single's butt for years on end! :D :)

PS.
My Software List that proves it (ok so they might all made to take advantage of duals) :
- Adobe Photoshop
- Final Cut Express
- Garage Band
- Unreal Tournament 2004 Demo
... and some others I can't think of at the moment...

But seriously, for what you're doing - get a Dual! You won't regret it! :)

OP
C

CaptainStandish

Hey thanks a lot for the heads up guys. I think I am in fact going to get either the dual 1.8 or the dual 2.2 when they are updated. I was about to put my order in for the dual 1.8 then I read a TON about the suspected updates etc... and decided I could get the comp i was going to order for A LOT less, or if the rumors are true, get the 2.2 for what the 1.8 was, that is if they dont change the price schemes.

It would be great if the dual 2.0 was the entry level machine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8GHz G5 512mb Ram
ouch, just hearing all this hurts me :(

A dual 1.8 being priced that the single 1.6 price?

:( I'm paying $2800 for my Single 1.8 :( :(

eh, it's all worth it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
......................two more days till the update: :drool

Can't wait.....I also heard on AppleInsider and MacRumors that they are going to release a new display line with the G5 that includes a 30"....They might bump out the 17".... :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

OP
C

CaptainStandish

ApplejustWorks said:
......................two more days till the update: :drool

Can't wait.....I also heard on AppleInsider and MacRumors that they are going to release a new display line with the G5 that includes a 30"....They might bump out the 17".... :eek: :eek: :eek: :p

I also heard that, with the new displays matching the look of the G5. There's a prototype picture somewhere of it on the internet if you havn't seen it already. If they do update, I hope they don't get rid of the 17 :-/, it's probably the only one of their displays that I can afford heh. I hope the up the response times and all that display also.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Sogni said:
Get a Dual!!!

The "most apps dont take advantage of dual processors" is hogwash!!!

My DUAL 533 MHz G4 tower is beatting the crud out of my 1Ghz G4 PowerBook!!! :eek:

I can't play UT2K4 on my PowerBook - choppy as ****! But it runs smooooooooth on the Dual 533 G4 Tower.

Not to mention my Tower beats my PB at everything I can throw at it!

Just a little disapointed in the PowerBook... but the main reason I got it was for portability... Good thing sellling the tower was never in my thoughts. heh :)

DUALS RULE! They kick single's butt for years on end! :D :)

- If your powerbook had more ram, you'd be fine just using that....I have 768 and I played never winter nights...without any problems.....I havne't done anything w/ UT but I'm sure I'd have no problems.

OP
W

WilliS

ApplejustWorks said:
They are updating the G5 models to this on March 23...
G5 DP 1.8
G5 DP 2.2
G5 DP 2.4

The DP 1.8 is supposedly going to be priced around what the Single 1.6 is right now.....so if you could you should wait for the updates.

me see no update.. 0_o

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 23rd has come and gone and there is no hardware upgrade to be found. So much for that rumor. The only update was software (iChat AV 2.1 Update).

OP
C

CaptainStandish

rman said:
March 23rd has come and gone and there is no hardware upgrade to be found. So much for that rumor. The only update was software (iChat AV 2.1 Update).

rumors were either 23rd or 30th, following their memory promotion. Hopefully we'll see something next week....

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I see is that the 30th is the latest rumor. The 23rd and 30th were not tied together.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 23rd ws the first rumor, then on the 23rd the next rumor of the 30th appeared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
actually rman they were tied together, I've been watching Apple Insider forums, and MacRumor forums, and most people said It's either coming on the 23rd of the 30th......

Here is the post: Geeks rejoice and hail me!. (When this comes true) This is my first prediction, so I have never been wrong. March 30th IS the date of the new Power Mac releases, along with the new displays. After the promos and before the big IBM thing on the 31st. (Macrumors lifted that word for word from an earlier post that I had written). Of course everyone will whine and complain that it is not enough then wait for the mythical 3ghz then the 3.5 then the 4.... Then the G6 and G7....Forget the 30" display, There will be a 17" cinema display however, to put consistent aspect ratios across the display line. Also look for a major FinalCut release at NAB along with some server goodies that will blow the AVID out of the water. They do say that they are moving pictures, sound AND THE INDUSTRY.

Here is the link: (bottom of page):http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=65024&page=1

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.