Big Difference between Core Duo and Core 2 Duo Performance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I'm looking to finally do the switch after much recommendation and a great trial with my friend's Macbook!

Due to financial reasons, I'm thinking of buying one of the refurbished Macbooks - in particular one of the top two options. However, I'm concerned about the performance difference between a Macbook with a Core Duo processor and one with a Core 2 Duo.

Is the performance difference noticable by a big margin? Is it big enough to justify spending a bit more to get a Core 2 Duo model? And finally, is the black one a rip off really? How many of you would consider purchasing that model?

Thank You I can't wait to hear your responses!

p.s. This is my first 'real post' - seems like a great community! Hello!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I forgot to add what I use it for.

I'm a University student - I will mainly be using the Macbook for browsing, IM, basic word processing and of course listening to music.

I've been reading up a bit more about the differences between CD and C2D and some sources have said that the performance difference is merely 10% increase for the C2D. Do you guys agree?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I think the big thing you want to look for is memory. I don't think the C2D is going to make any noticable difference for the uses you mentioned. Just make sure you get at least 1GB of RAM. I have 512 on my Macbook, and it can get laggy if you have several windows open in Safari, iTunes, several Widgets, and iChat running at once.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks iSeb - that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.

Well I went ahead and got the Black Macbook! Had a whole day's debate with myself whether it was worth spending that much extra just to (essentially) have it Black instead of White. In the end, I decided that I did have the funds, it will go with my Black Video Ipod, it looks **** cool and I think I will regret it if I don't!

Also, I did the necessary upgrade. I just upgraded to 2GB of RAM too!

Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Thanks iSeb - that's EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.

Well I went ahead and got the Black Macbook! Had a whole day's debate with myself whether it was worth spending that much extra just to (essentially) have it Black instead of White. In the end, I decided that I did have the funds, it will go with my Black Video Ipod, it looks **** cool and I think I will regret it if I don't!

Thank You!

Funny how that's the same reason I got my wife the black one: it matches her black iPod.

My white one goes with my white iPod (and now white keyboard, mouse, remote, cables...)

And as others have mentioned, memory is where you see your performance. Back in my Mini days and upgrade from 256MB RAM to 512MB was a great improvement (it didn't exactly scream, but it was definitely noticeable.) Having a gig in my Macbook makes it quite snappy, and in about six months or so I'll probably sink 2 gig into it.

As for CPU performance, I use encoding .wav files to .mp3 files with a command line encoder as a kind of benchmark. My old PPC 1.25Ghz Mini would encode a CDs worth of music in about 15 minutes. My Macbook does so in about four minutes. That's a Core 2 Duo. A Core Duo would probably do it in, oh, maybe five.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As for CPU performance, I use encoding .wav files to .mp3 files with a command line encoder as a kind of benchmark. My old PPC 1.25Ghz Mini would encode a CDs worth of music in about 15 minutes. My Macbook does so in about four minutes. That's a Core 2 Duo. A Core Duo would probably do it in, oh, maybe five.

Ooooooh, I think I can bear with that - I'm so happy! These forums are amazing - people are so helpful and already I've read some fantastic posts; definitely looking forward to joining the community!

See you all soon - I'm sure!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.