Web design ideas...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey everyone :)

On my photography website (www.jemdna.co.uk) i use one of the default themes from iWeb since i dont really have time to design my own.

Now ive looked at some of the others and they also look very cool but not sure if they look "professional"

I am currently using "Gazette" but im also liking the look of "Freestyle"

What are your suggestions?

Ive also made this banner, (colours can change to fit scheme of site but itll mainly be used in emails and signatures on forums), what do you think?

bannercopykm9.jpg

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Christm :)

Whats your view on the site layout? Do you think it would look better with "freestyle" ?

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I just remembered those old jokes about Russia, if i wanted to use that with iWeb and let's say, Dreamweaver, it would be: "With Dreamweaver you use templates, with iWeb templates use you".
Now, let me explain my point. Because iWeb comes with all those templates, it is easy to load one and put all your stuff in it, so basically your stuff adapts to the template. Your website, that should represent your identity, becomes the template, and so your identity on the web becomes the template.
My advice is basically, make the template work for you, change it, put one picture where it tells you to put 3, put two text columns where it tells you to put 1, change the fonts, change the colors, change the background, and if it doesn't want to cooperate, change the template.
Gazzette is more elegant, but Freestyle has a more younger look, that is why is one of the most used around, i wouln't recommend it, also it is heavy to load and the extras will distract from your photos.
I would recommend you to use Modern, but changing the size of the top banners/photos, so you can adapt that banner you made to fit (again, adapt the template to the banner, not the banner to the template). Consider the option of having your photos inside a Blog-type page, so you can add more things to the presentation, all fields (date, body) can be ereased until you have the rigth layout.
Finally, as part of shameless self-promotion, take a look here:
http://web.mac.com/mraya
If you like one, go ahead and download it. I haven't work with those too much lately but if you find a problem let me know so i can fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i think you should try both. post both sorts and we can all decide.

plz check out my new pages. updated them and the blog.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got a question for the web hosting gurus...

Ive noticed when i do an update, it is propogating through the internet fast enough but many peoples browsers are keeping a cache copy of the site and so only time they see the new site is if they refresh the page (usually 3 or 4 times)

Is there a way i could force a refresh of the page (cookie?) say every 24 hours?

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont know. with my site when i test it i have to refresh my page a few times.

because it only updates the page and doesnt completly make a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Got a question for the web hosting gurus...

Ive noticed when i do an update, it is propogating through the internet fast enough but many peoples browsers are keeping a cache copy of the site and so only time they see the new site is if they refresh the page (usually 3 or 4 times)

Is there a way i could force a refresh of the page (cookie?) say every 24 hours?

~~ TS ~~

When you update your site it happens instantly - it doesn't propagate like a domain does. It's their browsers that are caching it. You can a) use meta tags tp revent caching and b)send headers to prevent sites from caching.

Meta tags:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="Expires" content="Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT" 
/> 
<meta http-equiv="Pragma" content="no-cache" />

It's better to get the server to do it though - here's an example with PHP:

PHP:
<?php 
header('Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT'); 
header('Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate'); 
header('Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0', FALSE); 
header('Pragma: no-cache'); 
?>

The meta tag way is better than nothing if you can't use ASP, JSP, Perl, PHP, etc but the problem is if your user is going through a proxy it will ignore it.

And to confuse things Safari has some serious caching issues . . . always test your sites in Camino, Firefox or Opera.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll add the meta-tags as soon as possible!

With the PHP stuff, im fairly certain i can chuck tht on there, but im gonna give a shout to the hosts first, see where i stand :)

thanks very much DrQuincy :D

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
You're welcome. :)

Any problems just PM me!

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey everyone :)

Just letting people know that i have now updated my site, new pictures and the theme has been edited slightly!

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks MHC :)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 4GB RAM 250 GBHD, MacBook Black. 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. 1GB memory. 120GB hard drive.
I am using iWeb...well that is a fluid term (using) i really dont get it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.