Where to (legally) download music at 320kbps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
Hey there,

For the life of me I just cannot comprehend why iTunes music is encoded at 128kbps? Seriously, that's pathetic quality. I would love to (legally) download music, honestly, but there's no way in **** I'll ever pay to download a song unless the quality is 320kbps. Apple can take their pissy 128kbps sound quality and stick it..

Any ideas on where I would be able to download real music files (if such a website selling songs at a good quality ratio even exists?)? If no such source exists.. Well, we all know the alternative..

Cheers.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" macbook pro core 2 duo, 2.16ghz, 2gb ram, 160gb hdd. iPod nano 8gb. iPod Photo 20gb.
oh wow.. the forums star-out the word that starts with "h" and ends with two "L"s. how cute..

Reaction score
and a dollar per song, at ANY bit rate is just crazy imo.

But I have to admit, after trying 128kbps on my iPod Shuffle (it automatically down converts), I'm impressed. Honestly I don't think i could hear the difference over 196kbps..

what should I listen for?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
magnatune.com only one i know of to get cd quality downloads legally
this is not your typical commercial site - the artists receive 50% of the sales price,

You can listen to entire albums prior to deciding to purchase, not little 30 second clips, you set your own price you are willing to pay for an album as low as $5, with their license you are allowed not only to burn to cd, but to burn and give away an additional 3 copies to friends

best of all - no DRM on any of their music

check 'em out

Listening to the difference between 128 (itunes) and 196 (new zune), most people will not hear any difference. Most people will hear the difference between CD quality and 128/196 when listening thru any decent quality receiver and speakers (may not hear this difference when listening thru any mp3 player).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Don't forget that iTunes Store uses AAC encoding, not MP3, so 128kbps is much higher quality than an MP3 of the same bitrate would be. It's still not as good as 320 but much better than MP3 128.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
what about allofmp3.com is that still up...don't know if its technically legal...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
what about allofmp3.com is that still up...don't know if its technically legal...

I dont understand, it says you have to pay so how is this not legal?
The albums do look pretty cheap

M

MacHeadCase

I think they got a cease-and-desist from the RIAA or something.

But then again, who doesn't? :^P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro

Legality is just an opinion... the B-stars of the IRAA say it's not but everyone else says it is but unfortunately the IRAA has all the lawyers...

Reaction score
RE: allofmp3

Well I am not going to leap into the legal or not legal fray. However I just did a quick search on El Reg. and found articles going back to 2003 talking about the same issues and how they are being sued,blocked, or about to be arrested. One of the last things I recall seeing is that Visa and Master card were no longer processing payments for Media Services ( parent company of AllofMp3) Well I can say for me at least that is not true I have put 20 bux into my account twice since then.

I guess my point is ( if I really have one) it seems like they are the energizer bunny of hot button sites.

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[POST DELETED]

This is not the place to discuss why you got an infraction, please send a PM to the moderator who gave it to you for further discussion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.