USB/FireWire "Y" cable..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I jsut bought one of these off eBay to use on my 4th Gen U2 iPod (20gb, blue/white screen).

I've read that the FireWire only supports file transfers/charges on older iPods, but only charges on newer ones. Since I didn't want to spend the $50 odd dollars on a wall charger.. Will this charge my U2 iPod? I'd like to get this thing going again.. it hasn't been used in months, and I've also read that long-term periods of inactivety can cause it to take forever to charge back up again.

I know the unit works, but the battery died shortly after i formatted it.

Thoughts? Opinions?

a1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The firewire connection actually does seem to charge deep-discharged batteries better than the USB connector, so it should work.

But you can get a wall charger for less than that if you shop around... even Apple's adapter "only" costs €29,- here, the cable costs €19,- and isn't as useful...

OP
Audio.Trench
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Yeah, the USB wall charger here (In Canada) costs about $40, and I'm not sure if that comes with the USB cable or not.

The Y cable above cost me $2.50 USD off eBay, so you can see why I bought it. Thanx for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.