SuperDuper Help

Reaction score
I'm about to create a backup of my bootable partition using SuperDuper. I intend to store it in a FAT32 partition in an image file.

The thing is... suppose my system suddenly breaks. How do I restore it from that image?

Thanks
Fede

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP
I don't know the answer to that question, but don't forget that FAT32 can only store files 4GB in size. Unless your bootable partition is smaller than 4g, you won't be able to back up to a FAT32 partition; you'll need to use either HFS or NTFS.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the answer.
I thought that limit was solved a few years ago... is that still a problem in OS X?
I have had files bigger than 4gb in FAT32 using WinXP :(
Are you sure it's not possible?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
No, it's not a Windows or Mac issue - it's a general limitation of the FAT32 file system. Your windows system was probably NTFS or the "files" consisted of multiple individual files all under 4 GB.

You'll need to go with HFS+.

OP
F
Reaction score
Ok then, I'll go with HFS+.
About the 'how to restore the image' question, I realized I can launch disk utility from the installer and restore my HFS+ partition from there :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You can of course also just "clone" your drive to a partition of your external drive. This has the advantage that you can boot off your external harddrive should you ever need to get some work done whilst your internal drive is broken. Or you can fire up your complete system on another mac without setting up a new user account.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.