9.2 and 10.0 mix up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1 new imac, 3 older models
We recently bought a new imac for my wife ( we ended up throwing the old pc in the trash and running parallels on it. I was so impressed I bought a couple older imacs for the kids. The old 233 model works great, the newer one with the 500MHz processor and dvd drive is not so good. I put some old software in it ( educational) and all it did was bring up the audio tracks. If I put a DVD in it just puts an icon on the desktop with the title on it. Double click that and it brings up all the files on the dvd instead of just playing the movie. The machine originally was a OS9.2 and was upgraded to 10.0. I cannot find any threads that seem to address this - any ideas greatly appreciated -GC

Reaction score
If you have Cheetah, it didn't support the playback of DVDs when it was released back in 2001. This feature came out with Puma (10.1)

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. The version on it is 10.0.4 build 4R15. I still wonder why a game for 9.2 won't automatically start up ( just shows the audio clip files). Maybe I will do some searching on what os I can load without it becoming unreasonably slow and where to find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It won't automatically start up because you first have to enable and start the Classic Environment. OS X on its own won't run or auto-start a disc with a game made for OS 9.x.x or earlier. You will have to manually click on the app on the disc to start it. The only way to auto-start it would be to boot into OS 9 natively by changing the startup disk in your System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
To be honest, OS 10.0 is very old and buggy. You should be able to pink up 10.3 quite cheaply on ebay.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I picked up OSX 10.3 on ebay. While installing it said I needed to upgrade firmware. I tried backing out of it but it would not give up trying to load it and would not even spit the disc out. It even does it when restarting - is there a fix without disassembling the machine and physically removing the disc?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info-it worked! The os I bought has 3 install cds, 9 restore cds, and a worldbook encyclopedia. Did I do something out of order starting with the install disc? By upgrading firmware I assume I should hook onto internet mac site - or is that what the restore cds are for?

M

MacHeadCase

To upgrade the firmware, you'll need to go to Apple Support and do a search for your specific firmware update or click on the Downloads tab and look in there. Lots of downloads though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.