EyeTV and Fans running.

Reaction score
Hi,

First, I have an iMac G5 that I purchased about a year and a half ago - before the new intel ones came out. I'm running the latest version of 0SX and of course, update my software whenever possible.

I have been using EyeTV for over a year now and have not had any problems - but recently, I just got a new iPod video for Christmas and I have been using the export function to convert my recordings to the iPod format. My question is that while it is exporting (which takes A LOT of time), the fans on my iMac seem to be pretty loud - usually starts after about 10 minutes of exporting. It's not bothering me, but I assume EyeTV uses a lot of power?? I just don't know if it's good to have your fans running like they are for an extensive period of time. I usually leave it on overnight so that in the morning all of my shows are ready to go for my iPod - after it's finished, of course, my mac goes to sleep - but the fans have probably been running on high for 6 hours - maybe a little longer.

Anyone have the same problem - or any suggestions? If you need more specific computer model information - let me know...not sure what i'd need to provide.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Video conversion is a processor intesive task, so the additional cooling effort is required. Not a problem.

I know it makes me feel uneasy too when the fans are running, but it's really not like the motor of a car where you forgot to change gears :) . The fans are loud because Apple chose noisy models, if iMacs had water cooling things would be different :) . Don't worry about it.

Though if you really want to do a lot of this video conversion stuff with big files in the future, you might want to save up for a Mac pro :). I know I will own one someday :-D

OP
N
Reaction score
Video conversion is a processor intesive task, so the additional cooling effort is required. Not a problem.

I know it makes me feel uneasy too when the fans are running, but it's really not like the motor of a car where you forgot to change gears :) . The fans are loud because Apple chose noisy models, if iMacs had water cooling things would be different :) . Don't worry about it.

Though if you really want to do a lot of this video conversion stuff with big files in the future, you might want to save up for a Mac pro :). I know I will own one someday :-D

Thank you very much for the response! I feel much better about it now - and it's funny, it's still converting video for me now, but the fans have slowed down a great deal!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.